Stroker Performance Review

-
My feelings on the converter slip thing are.... for a “race car” with a race converter...... up to about 10% slip isn’t uncommon to see....... even in cars that run very well.

However....... 8% out of a 10” street converter in a car running “enough” gear is pretty high.

My friends old GTO Stocker with an auto.......
433hp(on the dyno), 3600lbs race weight.......5500 stall 8” ATI, 4.56’s, 9x30 Radial slicks.......11.33@117, low-1.50’s 60’....... 6000 shift, about 64-6500 thru the lights.

My 383(485hp) in my car(3670lb B body) with the flat steel hood on it went as good as 119mph, 4.56’s 9x29.5 radial slicks, 68-6900 out the back.......8” Dynamic, 5400 flash behind that motor.

I can give you an example fwiw on my 440 Cuda for vert slip @2 different hp levels/rpm.
1. At 3300lbs, 525fwhp through an 8" 4800 stall vert, trapped@6700 at 125mph approx 4>5% slip according to wallace with 32's/4.88's, that don't seem much to me but following numbers from the software.
2. Went up in hp to 660, trapped@7550 running 134.9mph, =9% slip, thats on track numbers.

Im sure this is not news to you, but that 60ft sucks. Drag radials CAN be faster than slicks, but only if the track prep is good. Slicks can spin a little and still hook and give a decent pass. Drag radials either dead hook, or DONT hook till the driver pedals, and then the pass is garbage.
Your almost 119 is good for very low eleven/very low seven second pass, but your 60ft needs to be very low 1.6, high1.5s. Pick up a pair of slicks, pick up two tenths in sixty, pick up four tenths in the quarter.
You know what you need.

If you have an Iphone have someone slo-mo video the launch. It will help show what exactly the car is doing. Then you can post it here and get opinions. Is he launching from idle or loading the converter? I know it seems counterintuitive, but launching from idle lets the converter flash higher that stall. If you load the converter, then roll into the throttle you might have better luck, but that is a bandaid for suspension that needs attention.

That 5 mph improvement “shows” a gain of about 60hp.

After you get the car(and driver) to be consistent...... you can start working on the tune up(jetting & timing).
If it hooks, it “should” put up a low 1.6 or high 1.5 60’ time.

I don't know much about Nitto drag radials, but my Hoosier drag radials hook as good as my previous slicks did....I would be willing to bet if you get a better converter (8") and some better drag radials that thing would be in the high 10's. Current MPH shows low 11's with a better 60'. Good luck :thumbsup:

-
Back