stroking a 383

-

Bigboy 68

it is what it is
Reaction score
I have a 383 I want to put in my car I would like to stroke it can someone please tell me what Factory Chrysler parts I could use 2-stroke a 383 thanks in advance for your help

You can start with a 413, 426W or 440 crankshaft and connecting rods and use them in a 383 to build a low deck 426. You'll need to find a machine shop in your local area who is willing to do that kind of work though. These days most people just buy a new stroker crank since it is easier and cheaper than re-working factory parts.

You can start with a 413, 426W or 440 crankshaft and connecting rods and use them in a 383 to build a low deck 426. You'll need to find a machine shop in your local area who is willing to do that kind of work though. These days most people just buy a new stroker crank since it is easier and cheaper than re-working factory parts.
what machine work needs to be done and what Pistons will I use

Diamond has shelf pistons for that combo,
The mains on the crank need to be cut to low deck size, and the counter weight may need to be turned down.

At the price to have that done you could probably just about get the 440 source 3.75 stroke crank for low deck at $750.

For that fact the money you spend on a stock crank, new bolts/re size rods, pistons/rings and balance. Just like Andy said.
The entire kit from 440 source is like 2k and it's all brand new not 40+years old

Diamond has shelf pistons for that combo,
The mains on the crank need to be cut to low deck size, and the counter weight may need to be turned down.

At the price to have that done you could probably just about get the 440 source 3.75 stroke crank for low deck at $750.

For that fact the money you spend on a stock crank, new bolts/re size rods, pistons/rings and balance. Just like Andy said.
The entire kit from 440 source is like 2k and it's all brand new not 40+years old
do I use 383 Pistons or 440 pistons thanks

crank machine work aint worth it when you can buy a new stroker cast crank or a 440 steel crank. 400/451 is based on a 383 crank going to a 440.
You use stroker 383 pistons that are shorter to accept the longer throw of the 440 crank and rods
Mopar 383 Pistons Chrysler Plymouth Dodge 383 Pistons

Last edited:
do I use 383 Pistons or 440 pistons thanks

Neither, you use stroker pistons.

Not sure you are aware of this but you are asking questions that we were answering 20 years ago. There is a 451 sticky thread that you can take a look at as well as a bunch of tech articles that have been written over the past 20 years. I wrote a book on big block Mopar engines that covered all of this stuff years ago.

Andy that is an awesome article, one of my favorites, really wished that motor would have survived. It was really starting to make some power!

That 383 stroker was a really sweet engine with standard port heads on it. We made a mistake by putting the Indy heads on a shortblock that wasn't really built to handle the power. The shortblock had 440 Source rods in it which might not have been up to the task. Also, the oiling system was just a stocker rebuild type of system and wasn't ready to handle the extra power. My mistake. Call it a learning experience......

440 source has everything you need to build a 496 cubic in torquappotomus.....so much so that I am struggling with getting it to stick. Still need a good machine shop to balance everything unless you buy the prebalanced items. My block was a 66 I think.

That 383 stroker was a really sweet engine with standard port heads on it. We made a mistake by putting the Indy heads on a shortblock that wasn't really built to handle the power. The shortblock had 440 Source rods in it which might not have been up to the task. Also, the oiling system was just a stocker rebuild type of system and wasn't ready to handle the extra power. My mistake. Call it a learning experience......
I didn't get a part number on those I-beam rods so I'm guessing they were the Factory Replacement ones? I've had one set of those here in the shop and won't use them anymore, though others have had success with them. The Platinum Series H-beam rods are a different story however. I have used them to over 900 HP and would use them again

-
Back