struggling with connecting the wiper rod...pics!

-

jhaas63

Reaction score
When I bought my Dart, only the driver's side wiper worked. It was missing the connecting rod that connects the two wipers together. A member here helped me with getting the rod and I bought new bushings off of a guy on Ebay. I have a 1972 Swinger.

How do I get the nipple to fit into the bushings? I can get the rod connected but when the wipers start, they go for about 3-4 seconds and then one side of the rod falls off. I know I am not getting the bushings snug enough onto the nipple. Is there a trick. Do I need to flip the rod around or something? One of the other things to consider is that the dash in completely intact. I am trying to work through the glovebox and under the steering wheel. Add to that that I am currently 300 lbs and 6'2 and you have a very frustrated large man. Please help.

Attachments

• wiper rod 00130%.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 248
  • wiper rod 00230%.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 228
  • wiper rod 00530%.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 227
Channel Locks. Squeeze the rods onto the pins with channel locks. You'll feel them pop as they go on.

Does the linkage arm have a slot in it for the plastic bushing? In the first pic it looks like it does, in the third pic of the problem child I don't see that slot. My '72 did not have the slots and I had to switch the linkage arms out. Without the slot that bushing isn't going in...
C

Attachments

• temp 2.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 181
3rd pic down looks like a 68 model plastic bushing. Are the studs ball end or straight with a groove cut in them ?

Does the linkage arm have a slot in it for the plastic bushing? In the first pic it looks like it does, in the third pic of the problem child I don't see that slot. My '72 did not have the slots and I had to switch the linkage arms out. Without the slot that bushing isn't going in...
C

There is no slot for the plastic bushing...

It sounds like you are trying to put a square peg in a round hole...
I had a similar problem when I was putting my '72 together. I ended up getting different linkage arms from a later car. I couldn't find any of the plastic bushings without the tab on them. That tab goes into a slot on the linkage arm.
I am not sure what was meant by the studs being straight with a groove in them, mine had a ball end which went into that plastic bushing.
C

If the studs are straight with a groove cut , the plastic bushing is hollow ( like shown ) the flat/flanged side of that bushing serves as a wear washer between the 2 parts so the bushing would snap going together only 1 way.
I know that design replaced the all bronze bushing design starting in 68. The closed end bushings and ball stud design may not have started until 73.

It sounds like there are two different styles bushings....my car is a 72 dart. The linkage arm does not have a slit or a slot for the bushing to go into. The linkage arm only has the hole for bushing.

The nipple where the bushing connects to is has slit around it. I think this is where the bushing needs to "seat".

Any suggestions? Do I have the wrong parts?

If the studs are straight with a groove cut , the plastic bushing is hollow ( like shown ) the flat/flanged side of that bushing serves as a wear washer between the 2 parts so the bushing would snap going together only 1 way.
I know that design replaced the all bronze bushing design starting in 68. The closed end bushings and ball stud design may not have started until 73.

So I have it right, I just need to use some channelocks and snap it on?

Looks like you have a mismatch on the linkage. '72 was a transition year from the early linkage to the late. You need to have all one type.....from motor to wiper arm. '68 thru May of '72 is the early linkage, June '72 to '76 is the other. The later setup is different between 2 and 3 speed wipers also. I always pull the whole wiper transmission out and do the reconditioning on the bench. Then reinstall it as a unit. Makes assembly a whole lot easier. Plus you need new wiper pivot seals anyway, right?

If anyone has the correct linkage for me, please let me know.

I need the linkage that has the white/yellow bushings for a 3 speed. Thanks!

Real late, but incase someone is doing a search like I am...
The trick is to boil the plastic washers for 5-10 min. That softens them up enough to get them to go on ALOT easier. Still may need to use pliers/Channel locks, but it will snap in much easier than not boiling them.
Also- you can get these bushings at autozone etc in a pack of assorted for about 5 bucks. Only 2 will work. The other 4 are for gm/ford. The pack I bought is in the HELP section. Part # 49447 at Autozone. Dorman parts.

View attachment Family pics 224.jpg
When I bought my Dart, only the driver's side wiper worked. It was missing the connecting rod that connects the two wipers together. A member here helped me with getting the rod and I bought new bushings off of a guy on Ebay. I have a 1972 Swinger.

How do I get the nipple to fit into the bushings? I can get the rod connected but when the wipers start, they go for about 3-4 seconds and then one side of the rod falls off. I know I am not getting the bushings snug enough onto the nipple. Is there a trick. Do I need to flip the rod around or something? One of the other things to consider is that the dash in completely intact. I am trying to work through the glovebox and under the steering wheel. Add to that that I am currently 300 lbs and 6'2 and you have a very frustrated large man. Please help.

Ace haedware has the parts like this

It sounds like you are trying to put a square peg in a round hole...
I had a similar problem when I was putting my '72 together. I ended up getting different linkage arms from a later car. I couldn't find any of the plastic bushings without the tab on them. That tab goes into a slot on the linkage arm.
I am not sure what was meant by the studs being straight with a groove in them, mine had a ball end which went into that plastic bushing.
C

You see the plastic bushing on the wiper motor arm?
That system uses exactly that same style hole an bushing on all 3 connection points.
Thats the wrong rod and bushing both that you bought.
Might be able to make the rod the same though by drilling the bushing hole if needed, and cutting the slot into the hole for the bushing.
All the slot does is keep the bushing from spinning inside the arm.
They are soft white plastic just like the one in the wiper motor connection in the picture.
The "help" section in most common chains like Checker and Autozone have them for about 2 bucks.

-
Back