Stuck distributor

-
I dont think a blade under the flange is gonna get to the interference point, its gonna be in the block boss. If they hammered it in (or torqued it in by the lock tab) there will be very little space down there. Is the distributor AL or a cast iron Prestolite? Just hit that **** from the side with a hammer. Sheering the pin from the bottom and breaking the plastic collar is minimal cleanup, just remove the intake and put a piece of tape around it or a rag. Distributors are cheap. This is one of those threads where there is more time telling him how to approach this than 2 thumps with a 3lb sledge takes.

Engine hoist REALLY close to the top of the rotor. Chain. So when it pops the lift arm doesnt hit the hood. Just a bit of tension and smack the housing. Might work.

If you remove the intake, I would put rags under it in the valley and melt the o ring out.

So, still waiting to hear if the hold down was removed. My money is on they damaged the area that fits in the block and hammered it in.
I asked too, no word yet.

I'm sure it is....but if it wasn't removed 1st...I'm sure that's why we've heard zilch back.

............Wait till you have to yank one out of something with a long shaft dist,----like a varnished up old Olds.......

If you look under the wide part of the dist, at the top of the shaft, there are two " Flats" 180° from each other. Try a wrench there, and then blast the wrench with a 3,lb sledge or put a pipe on it. Sometimes a Lil back and forth wiggle is better than one way

Last edited:
This reminds me of the debacle when the oil filter o-ring isn't lubricated and the resulting mayhem and destruction that can sometimes follow.
maxresdefault.jpg

If you look under the wide part of the dist, at the top of the shaft, there are two " Flats" 180° from each other. Try a wrench there, and then blast the wrench with a 3,lb sledge or put a pipe on it. Sometimes a Lil back and forth wiggle is better than one way

Sumbitch! I never noticed.

Is not even February and he has the best post of '22.

I had one stuck like that . I beat it with a large leather headed hammer from side to side . Once it cam out I threw it across the shop as hard as I could.

I asked too, no word yet.

I'm sure it is....but if it wasn't removed 1st...I'm sure that's why we've heard zilch back.
yes the lock down was removed, no rust around base of distributor or rust on block, area is really clean standard mopar distributor has a replacement distributor 5k miles on rebuild 21 years ago, very clean inside of valve cover

does the motor have an aftermarket intake?
i have a weiand action plus and i tried to pull the dist once and it wouldn't come all the way out. it would lift about 1/8".
so i put it back in and reset timing.
next time i had the intake manifold off, i used a file to smooth out the curve on the back around the distributor because it was trapping the dist...

does the motor have an aftermarket intake?
i have a weiand action plus and i tried to pull the dist once and it wouldn't come all the way out. it would lift about 1/8".
so i put it back in and reset timing.
next time i had the intake manifold off, i used a file to smooth out the curve on the back around the distributor because it was trapping the dist...
After removing elderbrock intake and using air chisel, it finally raised up 1/4 inch and was able knock it side to side with 5 lb. hammer it finally came out.Founded a small leak by #8 intake gasket water port causing the problem. Thanks for all of advice guys!!

After removing elderbrock intake and using air chisel, it finally raised up 1/4 inch and was able knock it side to side with 5 lb. hammer it finally came out.Founded a small leak by #8 intake gasket water port causing the problem. Thanks for all of advice guys!!
And who was hitting the X when I said Air chisel .lol

OP, glad you got it out. :thumbsup:

-
Back