Stuck in 3rd

-

cbig1969

Reaction score
Earlier I was trying to locate the transmission dipstick of my 1972 340 Duster. The reason is because I put it in the shop and had the power steering repaired and a new gas tank installed. When I got the car back after the repairs were made it drove beautifully. It drove so smooth that I spent most the day driving it just because it was fun. When I finally got home with it, as I'm turning into my driveway I attempted to downshift and couldn't get it out of 3rd gear. I figured maybe it needed transmission fluid. It's amazing to me that the thing shifted so nicely all the way up until I get it home but then that's my kinda luck.

Is this a common problem and what might the cause be?

Thanks in advance.

You didn't say at all what transmission is in there, but if it's a manual, there is no dipstick. The oil level is checked by removing a plug on the side of the trans.

The first possibility is that the shifter linkage locked up somehow, the second is that there is an internal issue with the trans.

Could even be an adjustment point that didn't get tightened.
Take it back to the shop and have them look it over. (even if they didn't do anything with it.)

First of all, Before we get in depth. What model transmission are you using? How many miles? Any Previous issues?

If it's a manual get some spray white grease and spray lots on the shifter I had one that would stick in gear until I sprayed the piss out of it

It's a 3-speed manual transmission that I assume is factory as I don't recall my Dad (who I inherited it from) ever mentioning that he had any issues with it. The car was only 2 years old when be bought it in 1974. Now it has just over 60,000 miles on it. In the 2 years I've had it the only problems I've had is a hole in the gas and the power steering went out on me as stated above. Even now with the gear issue I can go outside and twist the key and it'll fire right up.

Again, I really appreciate these and future responses.

column or floor shift? column shift are known generally for acting up

crawl under, jack up etc. pull shift linkage loose and see if shifter moves free.

Yeah thats it. Jack it up. Bop the lever. Re-align the shifter. If it does it again; rebuild shifter.
Unless the stupid fancy spring clip flipped out and the rod fell off. But then youd be asking a different question.Or the retaining nut backed off. But again, that would be a new question.

3-speed in the floor. I'll do as suggested and let you guys know what I came up with. It's going back to the shop as well because my gas gauge which was working just fine before it initially went in isn't working now after having them install the new gas tank.

Boy am I glad I found this forum.

-
Back