stuck open intake valves on slant six

-

tony elia

Reaction score
any suggestions? started out getting this long block that was very clean inside. tried to rotate the crank only to get resistance on the bar. opened up valve cover to find 2 bent push rods. numbers 5&6 intake valves seized closed. soaked overnight in MMO. was able to get valves to break loose with brass hammer. now they are stuck partially open. i have now flipped the engine upside down and filled the intake port with KO blaster, valve guides are submerged in solution. any tricks to get them to move???

&

any suggestions? started out getting this long block that was very clean inside. tried to rotate the crank only to get resistance on the bar. opened up valve cover to find 2 bent push rods. numbers 5&6 intake valves seized closed. soaked overnight in MMO. was able to get valves to break loose with brass hammer. now they are stuck partially open. i have now flipped the engine upside down and filled the intake port with KO blaster, valve guides are submerged in solution. any tricks to get them to move??? &
I had an engine do that after a rebuild. Found it was old fuel in the gas tank that was washed loose by fresh gas. Was like putting sugar in the gas tank. Seized intake valves and bent pushrods. Took the head to machine shop and had them hot tank it to fix the issue. Then removed gas tank and took to radiator shop where they hot tanked it to remove the garbage.

Just take the head off. 20 minutes and you're there.

I'd start out by pulling the valve springs on those two valves, using the rope method like you would do changing valve seals. Once the springs were off I'd try to spin them and work some penetrating oil into the guide. Maybe even chuck the valve stem in a drill and spin it that way, also opening and closing the valve at the same time. If you can get it freed up good enough, it might save you from pulling the head. I'd be tempted to check some of the other valves too, to see if they might be prone to seizing too. If you can't get the valves to move easily, it's pull the head time and get things done right. Hopefully, the valve(s) didn't get bent too. Good Luck!

I'd start out by pulling the valve springs on those two valves, using the rope method like you would do changing valve seals. Once the springs were off I'd try to spin them and work some penetrating oil into the guide. Maybe even chuck the valve stem in a drill and spin it that way, also opening and closing the valve at the same time. If you can get it freed up good enough, it might save you from pulling the head. I'd be tempted to check some of the other valves too, to see if they might be prone to seizing too. If you can't get the valves to move easily, it's pull the head time and get things done right. Hopefully, the valve(s) didn't get bent too. Good Luck!
thanks, the valve gods worked on #5 last night. quick tap with brass hammer and all is good for that one. i would just pull the head but gasket is 4 days away and i got time thanks again

-
Back