Stumped with rear shock length..??????

-

340Duster247

Reaction score
So I have the duster at the ride Height I want, and running caltracs as well. My problem is I can't seem to find a reat shock that fits with this height.....
With the car on the ground the measurement from eyehole to eyehole is 15".....but my problem is all shocks I Find have a compressed length of 14.25 or something like that. This leave no room for compression and will obviously bottom out the shock.
So what do I do. Is there a shock out there I'm missing with the right specs desired or doni have to move my shock mounting points higher/lower, and if so how do I go about doing this.

Anyways this is another one of my problems I need help with. Thanks guys!!!

I,ve run Q-A1 12 way adjustables with my Caltracs.Right now I,m running the 9 way adjustables from Calvert(Sellers of Caltracs).The Q-A1,s are about 1 inch longer.

I,ve run Q-A1 12 way adjustables with my Caltracs.Right now I,m running the 9 way adjustables from Calvert(Sellers of Caltracs).The Q-A1,s are about 1 inch longer.

you could always install a forged set of 1" spacers on the springs, that would give you a little peace of mind about bottoming out.

In the old days a "C-Body" shock was about 1 inch longer travel. However today I would just figure out what lengths were needed with the correct ends or something I could work around and just order those.

Maybee I explained wrong above. I feel I need shorter shocks. Since this post I installed new leaf springs I had laying around. Came with the car and never been installed.
With them installed and car a rest ride height I have 16" from leafspring shock mount to body mount. Now most shocks bottom out compression at 14.5". That only leaves me with a 1.5" of compression before the shock bottoms out.
Am I going about this the wrong way?
I feel I need a shorter shock with a lower number collapsed length. Like a 13".

Go to Monroe.com. Click on Catalog, then Misc. Information, Mounting & Length. Specs for every shock they make is there. Your mounting code top & bottom is L2 & L2 which is not very common. Near the bottom of the page is the description of the mounting codes. Maybe you could use a L1 or L3, possibly one of the LS mounts with the metal sleeve will work also. I have printed out this chart for my daily use at work. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I've done the monroe thing and got it cased. I really wanted some adjustability but these Monroe's will have to do. Picked some up today.

Anyone have experience with comp engineering shocks

Thanks. I've done the monroe thing and got it cased. I really wanted some adjustability but these Monroe's will have to do. Picked some up today.

Anyone have experience with comp engineering shocks

Decent, budget race shock... Front's & rears are multi adjustable, aren't fantastic but get the job done...( basic 10-12 hot rods..IMO..) You order these,already preset compression & travel lengths.. It boils down to: What shock/vehicle dimensions,did you "case too"... Mods might be needed,to fit the stock type length Comp shocks...
P.S.: I take it the Rancho 9000 series shocks( they were the adjustable shocks, designed with Cal Tracs as a system..),are unaffordable ,or unavailable?!?!?....

The old 2" longer than stock in the MP chassis book has served pretty well for 40 plus years.

The old 2" longer than stock in the MP chassis book has served pretty well for 40 plus years.

Same as the 70-71 Imperial shocks,I run those... (002,3 springs..)The Cal Tracs ,might like a different idea.. Again ,it's tuning /log keeping & experience, to learn. R.R.R., all we can offer is advice, from experience. O.P. needs to wrench,& learn.

Maybee I explained wrong above. I feel I need shorter shocks. Since this post I installed new leaf springs I had laying around. Came with the car and never been installed.
With them installed and car a rest ride height I have 16" from leafspring shock mount to body mount. Now most shocks bottom out compression at 14.5". That only leaves me with a 1.5" of compression before the shock bottoms out.
Am I going about this the wrong way?
I feel I need a shorter shock with a lower number collapsed length. Like a 13".

—————-
Old post i know... but i got the same problem, 16” eye to eye....do you happend to remeber which Monroe fixed the problem??? thanks Gilbert

-
Back