stupid garage door

-

mac daddy mopar

Reaction score
I have had my 74 scamp for about 5 years now and have been wanting to get it done ever since, but work and life kept geting in the way, so last year I hit it hot and heavy fixed the minor rust put new floors in droped the tank and cleaned it, then winter hit so work on the scamp went on hold, well went out today to work on it and my garage door was a ***** to get open, when I got it open I found the spring had broke and on the way to the wall it hit my new done rear quarter and put a 2 inch crease in it. so now I got to try to pound it out or weld it in as it's down low and geting to it don't look easy.

mama said there would be days like this. I saw on of those springs nearly total a Ford pickup once. 2 windows, the right mirror and side of the bed so,
It could be worse.
Home owners insurance may cover it, don't know. Good luck

I have had my 74 scamp for about 5 years now and have been wanting to get it done ever since, but work and life kept geting in the way, so last year I hit it hot and heavy fixed the minor rust put new floors in droped the tank and cleaned it, then winter hit so work on the scamp went on hold, well went out today to work on it and my garage door was a ***** to get open, when I got it open I found the spring had broke and on the way to the wall it hit my new done rear quarter and put a 2 inch crease in it. so now I got to try to pound it out or weld it in as it's down low and geting to it don't look easy.
$hit do happen, Thats just one of many wrenches that will be thrown into your cog, happens to all of us. Years ago I used to keep a sheet of 3/4 plywood, "breakdown table top" up in the rafters above the garage door. I used an antique rope block a tackel to get it up and down, well no, the ply did`nt hit the car, but the rope rotted and the block fell and put a small ding in my trim that was searched for years for, "now repoped". Could have been REAL bad, luckily, the ply, was sitting on a small shelf, with a metal safty latch, and it just leaned over, hit the first truss hanger, which is 2 ft. off wall. Yes, could have been real bad. Needless to say the Ply, will never get suspended again!

We had one let go when i was a kid we heard a loud banging in the garage during dinner we went to look and found it on the floor, my fathers brand new ford fairlane gt was in the garage not one scratch i was dumbfounded. If it had been me it would have taken out all the glass and dented every panel.

Bummer! Loop a cable through the spring and secure it to a rafter. If the spring breaks it won`t rocket through your garage.

Bummer! Loop a cable through the spring and secure it to a rafter. If the spring breaks it won`t rocket through your garage.

Ditto on this! New garage doors come with it!

While you are at it, don't have anything up on the wall anywhere near your car in the garage like say...a weed whacker... Mine fell, hit the floor and bounced 8 feet away and knocked a nice dent in the door.

Do you speak from experience??? I remember how lucky you got when that happened...garage door spring bounced of the Cuda roof, lucky the car had a cover on it and didn't scuff the paint.

I keep telling the wife I need new garage doors so now maybe she wont think they cost to much, the ones I have are like 1 1/2 solid wood pannels heavy as hell. good Ideal on the cable thru the spring tho

I built this house in 1993. A 9X10 rolling steel coil door cost me 821.00 installed back then. Who lnows what it would cost today. It's not meant for residential use and an automatic opener for it would cost both arm and leg. I dont expect to ever have any problems with this door though.

Sucks big time about the car, but at least it wasn't someones head.

I have a somewhat newer door.. but these stories and scaring the heck outta me. So I run a cable through the spring and anchor it.. doesnt the srping rotate ? ( Guess I will have to look into this) As I have been trying to fool proof the garage. (which it will never be if I am in it)

-RPM

I have a somewhat newer door.. but these stories and scaring the heck outta me. So I run a cable through the spring and anchor it.. doesnt the srping rotate ? ( Guess I will have to look into this) As I have been trying to fool proof the garage. (which it will never be if I am in it)

-RPM
if you have a newer style garage door where the spring is on the header above the door and just winds up, you are fine. The ones they are talking about here is the style that the springs run parallel to the door tracks and are stretched out when the door is down. Mine are both newer style Wayne Daltons from Lowes. They have a torsion spring abobe the door in a tube... real nice, also, small motor for the opener gets mounted on the header above the door, real quiet....

-
Back