Stupid question of the day: Spindles??

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Are the 9" brake and 10" drum brake spindles the same on an A-body?? I say no, but another mopar head insists the are...

What say you, FABO?

Definitely not the same. Tell him to look up the bearings and they will see the are different. He can also look up the aftermarket disc brake conversion kits and he will see there is one for 9" and a different on for the 10" spindles. On the conversion only the spindles are used and the other brake parts are eliminated.

Yup different. 9 on the left and what Oklacarcollecto said.

Attachments

• spilndlecompS.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 193
Quote-"He can also look up the aftermarket disc brake conversion kits and he will see there is one for 9" and a different on for the 10" spindles".

There ya go! I hadn't had enough caffeine yet this AM, thus your help is appreciated!

This is the kind of stuff I don't know. You guys are amazing.

And the 9" knuckle uses a different lower ball joint. THAT part is actaully the weak link in the 9" stuff. You do not want to use 9" "spindles" on a performance Mopar.

And the 9" knuckle uses a different lower ball joint. THAT part is actaully the weak link in the 9" stuff. You do not want to use 9" "spindles" on a performance Mopar.

I have seen that posted several times but when you look up the application on the 68 A-body they show the same Moog part numbers on both the 9" and 10" drums.

NO, and the 9" are so weak looking that I would never use them in a Disc conversion. I know people do it but not I.

Good stuff guys! I'm thinking I'm going to do the aftermarket disc conversion on my Dart rather than "upgrade" to the 10" drums.

Just be sure that you can get replacement parts easily whichever way you go.

-
Back