Stupid question???

-

19dart71

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question from a rookie. If so, I apologize in advance. Anyone have any ideas how to raise my backend about an inch? Is there a kit or a better way? I want it to look ready to go but not overdone. I don't want it to look silly. I recently took off my back bumper, valance, and trunk lid and I like the stance of the car now. But I know it will lower back to normal when everything is back on. How can I maintain the current look after I reassemble. Any ideas???

does ur car have airshocks in the rear were u can put air in them too lift it that was the thing too do on those older cars or im sure they make a kit its just a 1inch slab of steele that goes between the axel n springs dont take my word for it

Easiest and cheapest way is a pair of air shocks.

Thanks to all! mullinax95 I think I need to look into those Mancini leaf springs. I'd also like to hear some more experience on the spacer and axel idea. Anybody tried it with success?

I know you asked specifically about raising the rear, but if your just looking for that "raked" look then you could always lower the torsion bars on the front a little bit and wouldnt sacrifice much ride quality.

I know body else likes them but I have done them allot and never had any trouble.......good ole shackle extenders...

I lowered mine by the torsion bars in the front. Probably 4" or more, the back is dropped 3" and it still has a "rake" to it. The ride isn't really that bad, so I think you can drop your front an inch with no sacrifice. The best part is it is free (alignment, maybe)

Thanks to all! mullinax95 I think I need to look into those Mancini leaf springs. I'd also like to hear some more experience on the spacer and axel idea. Anybody tried it with success?

If you are planning on keeping the car for awhile I definitely do it the correct way with leaf springs... other than that extend the shackles or throw the air to it!

First of all, there is no such thing as a stupid question. If you don't know the only way to find out is to ask.
I don't like rearching leaf springs because they have a tendency to flatten out in a year or so. If you have the money, get new leafs. You can go with the springs from Mancini or try your local shops to see if they can make new ones for you.
Air shocks are OK, but can give a harsh ride. I had them on my 68 GTS and didn't mind the stiff ride I got. It's all in your personal preference.
You can also get helper springs that mount to your shocks. They can be harsh also, but should give you some lift.
Frank

jegs and summit both have extention shackle kits that are cheaper than air shocks. just keep in mind anything you do will chage how the car rides and handles. for wanting just and inch though you should be ok.

Eaton Detroit Spring may have a better price than Mancini, check out their website. Geof

XHD leaf springs should get you where you want.

If you want to do it right,this is the only way. XHD springs.

Do not use air shocks. Bad idea on A-bodys. The pressure the shocks put on the upper shock mount bolt has been known to break it. Not good.

Extra heavy duty springs have an extra leaf which will kick the back up.
If a raked look is what your going for this is the way.

does ur car have airshocks in the rear were u can put air in them too lift it that was the thing too do on those older cars or im sure they make a kit its just a 1inch slab of steele that goes between the axel n springs dont take my word for it

Since the rear sits above the leaf springs, a block of steel will lower the reaend. I agree a HD 5 or 6 leaf set of new springs is the way to go. A cheap fix is to add a leaf to your existing set off of another set of rear leafs, I've done that in the past and works great.

I took my springs to the local spring shop. Had them add 2 leaves, set the ride height at 1 inch over stock, new bushings, general rebuild, clamp every leaf on the front half of the passenger side spring. Got them back and they looked like new springs. Car sat a little high at first but after the springs settled they were dead on. Rides a lot better than it did with air shocks and should last quite a few years before I have to do it again. Cost me $150 for the pair. Can't beat that deal with a stick. If you are lucky enough to have a decent spring shop locally, there is no need to buy new springs. Have yours rebuilt to your specs. Look for a shop that does a lot of truck spring repair and has been around since Christ was a corporal.

Since the rear sits above the leaf springs, a block of steel will lower the reaend. I agree a HD 5 or 6 leaf set of new springs is the way to go. A cheap fix is to add a leaf to your existing set off of another set of rear leafs, I've done that in the past and works great.
340 I agree with SG. If your on a budget, go to a salvage yard and get a few used spring assys. Cut off the main spring leaf eye bushing end,and install it in your spring assy under your main leaf. Add a couple of extra leafs if you think you need them. All you will be out is the cost of the old salvage springs,some new u-bolts and spring clips and your time. I find these work great.

Here is one more option for you. These are still available from Monroe, but are special order at most part supply houses. The price shown $83 is for a pair, so not really too expensive.

They will raise the rear of your car about an inch or so (if it is sagging due to weak leaf springs) and ride much better than air shocks.

Just another idea to consider and alot less work to install. They can also be returned if you are not happy with them. I would order them thru your local parts house so that shipping or returns are not an issue.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=18124

Monroe Load Levelor Shocks.jpg

Thanks guys!!! I've got several new ideas to kick around. The members of FABO are what makes it so great. Where else could you find a group of mopar fanatics so willing to share ideas? Thanks again.

Thanks guys!!! I've got several new ideas to kick around. The members of FABO are what makes it so great. Where else could you find a group of mopar fanatics so willing to share ideas? Thanks again.

If I can ask, what did you ended up doing here?

-
Back