Sub port shape flow tests

-

'63GT

Reaction score
I know some of your ears just perked up with this title..

I'm sure some of you have built your own Sub enclosures over the years, as I have.
In fact, I got my start back in the early 80's when sub enclosures were a fairly new concept to the general public.
I used to pencil out my enclosure dimensions (using the Golden Mean Ratio) enclosure size and port dimensions using the Theil/Small parameters of the driver with a handbook I bought from Radio Shack.
This 'Long Hand' approach usually took me 15-20 minutes to conjure an enclosure.

Now I use WinISDpro modeling software that can do the figures for me, as quickly as I can tap ENTER.
The cool thing about this software, and others as well, is that it models port shape(area) and of coarse, length. AND, as some of you may have noticed, not all port configurations perform/tune equally. Especially if Chuffing is a problem. (20 Hz and below)

SO ! It occurred to me the other day (I have no idea why I didn't think of this earlier..)
Why Not Flow Test Each Port Shape ????

So I did.
Below is a pic of a test sample of 3 equal cross sectional area port shapes.
The area of each port is 1.76 in2 (small, I know but good enough to test the shapes)
First test is just the shape it's self with no flare.. (parameter holes are to bolt it to the flowbench) results below v
AreaShapeFlow1.jpg

Round: 177.8 cfm (parameter area: 4.71 long. Dia x Pi) hole area 1.76
Triangle: 187.7 cfm (parameter area: 7.05 long. .75 x .75 x 2.35 x 2.35) hole area 1.76
Square: 179.6 cfm (parameter area: 5.32 long. 1.33 x 4) hole area 1.76
As you can see, the port shape with the longest parameter area flowed the best. and the rest of the flow numbers are a reflection of the amount of parameter was available to the shape. Interesting, right?
WELL ! lets add some flare, or radii, to the shapes and retest. (1/4" round router bit used)
Results below v
AreaShapeFlow2.jpg

Round: 260.5 cfm (82.5 cfm gain over a non-flared port)
Rectangle: 246.5 cfm (58.8 cfm gain)
Square: 239.4 cfm (59.4 cfm gain)
WHAT ?? just so that you know, I retested EVERYTHING and came up with the same results..
amazing what a little radius can give.
You guys familiar with Areo Ports may not be surprised with this..
The moral of the story here is this; round is a very efficient shape.
It also suggests why the modeling software is sensitive to port configuration.
Thanks for listening !!!

Kinda goes to show you that you should never ever test flow a head without a radius on the intake side.

Kinda goes to show you that you should never ever test flow a head without a radius on the intake side.

Yep.
One thing that really struck me was that the W2s well ahead of the curve. In the 70s!
No wonder the SS Hemi sheet metal intake manifolds have moved to round runners in the last 10 yrs..

Maybe I should do another test with radius corner square and rectangle shapes of equal area...?

I had the same Radio Shack book as well and thought it was really good. I no longer have it. Borrowed and never returned... lesson learned. Wish I still had it. Is it even available? Anyways.... it sure helped out my sound system. OH Yea! Wooooo!

I never thought about flow testing the port. LMAO!
Looks like fun!

Yep.
One thing that really struck me was that the W2s well ahead of the curve. In the 70s!
No wonder the SS Hemi sheet metal intake manifolds have moved to round runners in the last 10 yrs..

Maybe I should do another test with radius corner square and rectangle shapes of equal area...?

Keep in mind the pushrod was also more out of the way on W2 heads. They really weren't that good stock but up to .450-.500 they were VERY impressive. Then they died.

I never thought about flow testing the port.

I'm embarrassed to admit, that I'm embarrassed to not have thought about it SOONER!
What a dork, right? ... a flow-head, not testing something that relies on flow..

In case you're interested, and because you're familiar with the process, here's a link to a free download of WinISDpro: Download WinISD 0.7.0.950

Keep in mind the pushrod was also more out of the way on W2 heads. They really weren't that good stock but up to .450-.500 they were VERY impressive. Then they died.

Yeah.... I remember reading a Shepard article about the W2's, stating that EXTRA material being added to the SSR so that 'optimum shape' could be achieved. (I wonder what Mullins thought of that?..)
One of Shepards better ideas... (did he used to work at phord, by any chance?) :rolleyes:

I had the same Radio Shack book as well and thought it was really good. I no longer have it.

...can't find mine either. (red cover?)
Seems like there was a reprint at some point.

-
Back