Subframe connectors?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Considering the addition of subframe connectors to my Duster project (340/4 speed/8-3/4 3.91 pumpkin)....would bolt-ons be sufficient for a street project, or should I plan on having them welded?

welded for sure. bolt on ones usually dont work out at all. the holes wallow out and get bigger and bigger after a while... lol

Nothing wrong with bolt in for a street build and if the body is flexing enough to wallow out the holes (which I have never seen), then your car has other problems.

But..... I do prefer welded. The bolt in ones can be welded too.

Nothing wrong with bolt in for a street build and if the body is flexing enough to wallow out the holes (which I have never seen), then your car has other problems.

But..... I do prefer welded. The bolt in ones can be welded too.

X's 2. I have a (old) set of MP units for my E body that will be fitted and bolted in. Once I like how they are in there, I'll weld it up. A mig welder and 30 minutes... Your done. Assuming your taking your time like me. ;)
(This may also include coffee break and idle chatter.)

Here's how I see it... Neither can be properly installed under the shade tree. If you don't have the proper lift for this job and going to have them installed by someone else anyway, buy weld in and go to the location that has lift and welder. If you do have the lift but not the welder buy bolt in. Those can be welded at a later date.

The bolt in ones can be welded too.

I bought the MP ones but had them welded in place. We did it on a drive on lift so that the body was in it's normal resting position. Totally changed the way my 40 year old car drove and handled. Money well spent.

I did the same as Brian. Had the car 17 years and couldn't believe the difference.
Very worthwhile upgrade.

I welded mine in just make sure the car is sitting on it suspension not just up in the air with the lift legs under the car. You will be surprised how much the car will flex and if the frame connectors are welded in like that the car will never be right. If you are doing it on the ground put the jack stands under the rear axle and the front lower control arms. Then I use old car jacks and 4x4s to hold the connector up under the car and start welding the jacks help keep everything tight and level. Good Luck

Last year I had a friend who is a professional welder help me install a set of the US Tool connectors . Took about 6 hours split up over two evenings after work. It made a noticeable difference in the car which is a convertible. The job was a little time consuming but well worth it. Had to remove seats/carpet and prep the underside of the floor pans for welding.

While I had the carpet out, took the opportunity to add sound/heat barrier. :)

I had not even considered the fact that they need to be installed on loaded suspension. Thanks for saving me from a big eff-up!
My thoughts were to install them as bolt-ons, then have them welded later. Anyone done this; does it work?

-
Back