Subwoofers in a cruiser mopar

-
Some really good ideas in this thread. You guys got me thinking about things I hadn't considered before.

I ran a radio delete in my daily driven 68 gts for nearly a decade and now I'm just over it, I want some modern luxury.

I got spoiled when I had to replace the GTS (GTS got hit and totaled) with a 19 Mercedes Coupe, and the Mercedes really bumps, from the factory!!

So now that I'm planning on driving the valiant this summer, I want to jam in an old car because built should always be better than factory.

My music style is inherently bass rich but it's NOT rap. You can't spell crap without rap :p:realcrazy:

hqdefault.jpg

Some really good ideas in this thread. You guys got me thinking about things I hadn't considered before.

I ran a radio delete in my daily driven 68 gts for nearly a decade and now I'm just over it, I want some modern luxury.

I got spoiled when I had to replace the GTS (GTS got hit and totaled) with a 19 Mercedes Coupe, and the Mercedes really bumps, from the factory!!

So now that I'm planning on driving the valiant this summer, I want to jam in an old car because built should always be better than factory.

My music style is inherently bass rich but it's NOT rap. You can't spell crap without rap :p:realcrazy:

View attachment 1716032553
Those of us advising against really loud music are only doing it out of concern for your hearing later in life. You're part of the family and we love you. Trust me, you don't want your hearing to be where mine is today. It' really sucks.

That said, I admit fully I have way more music in Vixen than I need, but I rarely turn it on. If the weather's fair and it's window down weather, I might put in a 60s cd but I don't turn it way up. I try to remain responsible so that I can hear emergency vehicles and things around me. Enjoy your music, just be careful and take care of yourself.

I like to crank the music up sometimes if I'm by myself, but it's a rare occasion anymore. I wish I had protected my hearing more when I was younger. I hear fine, except when my wife is :mob:....lol. What gets me is the Tinnitus! I don't usually hear it during the day, but when it gets quiet at night the squeal drives me nuts if I let myself focus on it.

Can't find the gauge diameter but meant for one, seems like a good way to go

g206KMC2-F.jpg

Who needs a loud stereo system when you can have a healthy engine to listen to instead!? I like a good system in my new cars, but I can’t do it in my old ones….I’d rather hear my cars. I have a Harmon Kardon system in my Challenger and it’s awesome, sounds great with base, has a factory 10” sub in the trunk. They make good quality stuff for factory and aftermarket. I’ve always put my money info my cars looks or performance, never gave the radio much thought lol

Last edited:
I hid a modern deck in the glovebox and left to stock stereo in the dash on my 64 vert , powered 10" sub under the passenger seat, 2 3.5" speakers in the dash and 2 6.5" speakers in the kickpanels.

The "gauge hole" style is stereo mostly an outgrowth of the UTV/side-by-side crowd, believe it or not. Not much room in those for any kind of system, hence the tiny mounting format. Regardless of the brand name, you'll want amplifiers. I haven't heard a-one of 'em that sounded good through the on-board speaker outputs.

While I'm all for diggin' on the tunes emanating from the engine bay, at least three of my cars will be 100% drivers. I intend to be able to hop in any one and drive 1,000+ miles to visit my sisters (CO & UT), friends in the Southeast, or family on the West Coast. By the time I'm through WI I will be well and truly done groovin' to a droning engine. I know because I travelled to & fro between Atlanta & here--about 1,100 miles--many times in a 440 Six Pack Charger back in the late '90s... and I was a lot more hardcore back then.

Those of us advising against really loud music are only doing it out of concern for your hearing later in life...
No we're not. We hate sitting at the lights or in our living room and hearing that crap pound away :)

Thanks for all the insights guys.

The last owner of my 66 b-cuda cut into the doors to add fronts and the rear divider to add rears.

With my interior almost done and the cost of interior door panels I'm not about to cut into them so I'm going for the kick panel option and under dash combo up front. However I'm still wondering about a low impact option for rear speakers and a fairly OEM look. My best thought is the rear divider that I rear made, but not cutting into the carpet and instead trying to hide them underneath, not sure on sound though.

I don't mind adding a sub under a seat or in the spare tire (trunk). But again where to add the rear speakers.... I'm currently going to go without and see how it sounds with the dynamat, new interior and new system. Always open to thoughts.

Thanks for all the insights guys.

The last owner of my 66 b-cuda cut into the doors to add fronts and the rear divider to add rears.

With my interior almost done and the cost of interior door panels I'm not about to cut into them so I'm going for the kick panel option and under dash combo up front. However I'm still wondering about a low impact option for rear speakers and a fairly OEM look. My best thought is the rear divider that I rear made, but not cutting into the carpet and instead trying to hide them underneath, not sure on sound though.

I don't mind adding a sub under a seat or in the spare tire (trunk). But again where to add the rear speakers.... I'm currently going to go without and see how it sounds with the dynamat, new interior and new system. Always open to thoughts.
I don't use rear speakers and if I do I turn down them so I can't hear them, I like the sound in front of me, don't care about the peeps in the back :)

The rear divider is plywood and easy to replace. I would myself cut into the wood, (or the new plywood) and run a set of 6X9’s and a sub woofer in the trunk. My wife runs a sub in the trunk and it is really nice. That little thin sub will fill in the missing sound really nice. We even turned it down. Powerful little sub.

297755CA-AD26-4FFF-B5AB-8E8D49D6F187.jpeg

I don't use rear speakers and if I do I turn down them so I can't hear them, I like the sound in front of me, don't care about the peeps in the back :)
You don’t care about the people in the back?!?!

MUSIC HOG!

:rofl:

-
Back