Sudden Change in Engine/Exhuast Tone?

-

Mike Correll

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda with a 273 and dual exhausts. The car has dual glass pack mufflers and the whole exhaust system is about 20 years old, so I know it has some leaks. I was out for a drive today and I thought I was going crazy. The engine suddenly changed in tone from its normal. I could only notice it when I accelerated or down-shifted, but not at idle. Idle sounded exactly the same as it normally does. It's hard to explain the change, but it seemed more agitated, and definitely louder, especially if I stepped on it. It ran as normally as it does, no engine skips or sputters. When I got home, I revved the engine and opened up the door and the different sound seemed to be coming more from the rear, by the glass-packs. I think it may be possible a new leak formed near or in one of the glass-packs? I'm currently reluctant to drive it until I figure this out in case something goes wrong. If anyone has an idea about what might have caused it, advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_5410.PNG

Venturing a guess, 20 yr old glass packs, I'd say the packing is going or gone.

And maybe the perforated tube inside the glass pack is also gone?
Good looking ride by the way !!

Glass packs have a life span. Sounds like yours have reached the end.

If it is indeed an "expired" glass pack or a new hole in the pipe, it won't hurt to drive it until you get it replaced. Might allow a little more exhaust to get into the car though.

Good lookin' 66. Post up some more pics!!

I have a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda with a 273 and dual exhausts. The car has dual glass pack mufflers and the whole exhaust system is about 20 years old, so I know it has some leaks. I was out for a drive today and I thought I was going crazy. The engine suddenly changed in tone from its normal. I could only notice it when I accelerated or down-shifted, but not at idle. Idle sounded exactly the same as it normally does. It's hard to explain the change, but it seemed more agitated, and definitely louder, especially if I stepped on it. It ran as normally as it does, no engine skips or sputters. When I got home, I revved the engine and opened up the door and the different sound seemed to be coming more from the rear, by the glass-packs. I think it may be possible a new leak formed near or in one of the glass-packs? I'm currently reluctant to drive it until I figure this out in case something goes wrong. If anyone has an idea about what might have caused it, advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 1714990784

Thank you all for your responses. I had a feeling the glass-packs were gone. I plan to take it to an exhaust shop when I get some extra cash. Thank you also for all the compliments! The color is actually a factory color for a 1991 Hyundai called Solar Blue Metallic. Here are some more pictures:

IMG_5427.JPG

IMG_5428.JPG

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5431.PNG

Last edited:
66 is by far NOT my favorite year.......but that's a nice lookin car. I love how you're not afraid to let her have some ground clearance. Too many people now days go for the ghettoed out look and try to scrape the rockers on the ground. That car looks really good.

I think your engine is about to blow! And when it does, it will take the tranny with it. So the way I see it, since you are a lil tight for cash right now, you really oughtta sell me that tired old, one-foot-in-the-grave 66, and I will put my 367powertrain in there, and then we'll see what's what!
lol

Too many people now days go for the ghettoed out look and try to scrape the rockers on the ground. That car looks really good.
That is in fact, the opposite of "ghettoed". "Ghettoed" would be jacked up like a 4wd with 20"+ wheels :D

-
Back