Suggestions as to how to finish after the muffler

-

65valiantsignet

Reaction score
I just finished installing Spitfire headers on my 65 Valiant (US Dart) right up to the mufflers. I'm trying to figure out whether I should finish with tailpipes, side exit pipes or downturn pipes?

Any thoughts?

Cameron

I just finished installing Spitfire headers on my 65 Valiant (US Dart) right up to the mufflers. I'm trying to figure out whether I should finish with tailpipes, side exit pipes or downturn pipes?

Any thoughts?

Cameron

Would the downturn pipes be at the rear axle?

#1…….Tailpipes

#2…….Side Exit

#3…….Dressing up as a woman, covering myself in baby oil and voluntarily spending a night in prison.

#4…….Lighting my self on fire.

#5…….Turn downs at the axle.

Tailpipies.... definitely tailpipes. My Demon has 3" Flowbastards with turndowns. Impossible to have any kind of conversation once I fire the beast up. I want to add tailpipes but my springs have been moved in 3", so I'll be looking at having some custom made or buying a kit with mandrel bends and welding it up myself.

Wylde1.

Straight out the back, with turndowns. Go see Jeff at Budget exhaust, on Harvester Road. He does nice stainless work. Tell him the Balzer clan sent you, and He will give you a good price.

Pipes it will be as I fired it up today and it is loud in the car with no pipes.

Thanks MtNemoMopar. I'll go see him in the spring. Is he between GL and Walkers or WL and Appleby?

He is between Walkers and Appleby. About halfway betwwen the two, right beside Burlington truck center.(north side of Harvester). Hope to see you Oakville guys out this year.

Good to know about Budget Exhaust's stainless work; I'll likely need to buy an exhaust system for the '73 by springtime, and I will probably want to put in my set of Dutra Duals, which will necessitate a custom Y-pipe.

I had full exhaust with the Spitfires Camaeron,2 1/2 with flowmasters to the bumper.Did you fit them in no problems?

P.S Hey MtNemoMopar (Bill),How,ve you been?Good to see you again,it,s been awhile.

Hey Scott. Been damn busy, and damn cold. I was hoping to get laid off for a couple of months to do some coyote hunting..no luck.
Budget did the exhaust on my Swinger, and it is clean, and straight. I was very happy.

As MTNEMOMOPAR said....tail pipes with turndowns. Just like the old Mopar cop cars had.

The turndowns put most of the noise down instead of back like tips do but you can still get the rumble.

This is my dad's 68 Coronet cop car when it was about 2 weeks old. We had already shortened up the left pipe to disquise the fact that it had a large engine with duals. We told everybody it was a 383 2bbl.

68CoronetNew.jpg

Also check out this CHP car for the correct way to make the pipe.
Notice that the pipe curves up, goes straight and then turns down with a slash cut at the tip.

http://copcardotcom.fotki.com/photographs_of_dave/restorations/dave_arnolds_monaco/dsc07069.html

i put turndowns at the axle and while it is very loud and boomy in the car, it makes for an impressive burnout as it shoots the smoke out from under the car nicely.
-Tim

Out the back with some nice tips...turndowns blow dirt/dust everywhere,and behind the rearwheels looks cool on most cars but if you do a lot of burnouts they'll be covered in rubber...

Yup got them on with minimal problems. I cut the crossmember so it had clearance however I will have someone bend the pipe slightly when I get the tailpipes as the one side just touches the frame.

Unfortunately I got some antifreeze in the oil (through the ports) when I did the work. I had no idea the studs acted as guardians to the porthole of Tsunami hell and it came gushing out and I accidently got some into the ports. I will flush out the oil again a couple of times. Just a minor pain.

I had full exhaust with the Spitfires Camaeron,2 1/2 with flowmasters to the bumper.Did you fit them in no problems?

P.S Hey MtNemoMopar (Bill),How,ve you been?Good to see you again,it,s been awhile.

Flowmasters with Turndowns in front of the Rear Axle. Sounds awesome and yes, you can carry out a normal conversation at normal tone.

This is what I have on my 383 daily Driver.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

Clearly I disagree. I have had several cars with turn downs at the axles and my opinion is it sounds like crap. It's the kind of thing you do if you don't have the money for a real exhaust.

Not only is the sound bad but it blows dust around and can sometimes stink up the car.

The only really cool thing I found with my turn downs was setting of all the local car alarms when I went down the street , rectangle tips out the back people still stare but it's a lot quieter , man I miss the alarms going off tho . lol

Actually, I think Ontario law prohibits exhaust exits by the axles. And as 68 Formula says, it looks kind of cheap. If you don't like turndowns, A-body tips would look good too.

#1…….Tailpipes

#2…….Side Exit

#3…….Dressing up as a woman, covering myself in baby oil and voluntarily spending a night in prison.

#4…….Lighting my self on fire.

#5…….Turn downs at the axle.
why is lighting yourself on fire so low on the list? i would've moved it up one notch...

Maybe he already did #1, 2 and 3?

Anyways, great comments guys. I will certainly avoid the downturns as it sounds like noise and dust will be a problem. Now to just wait for the &%$^$& Canadian winter to end so I can take it out to the muffler shop without 3 tons of salt on the car.

turn downs at the bumper.

-
Back