Suggestions for a 318 build

-
I also just aquired a free 318 with the duster I bought, and since the duster runs well I'll have the luxury of building the free one at my own pace. Thank you all for posts like this, cause I'm soaking it up. I'm going with magnum heads and an Isky 270 mega, it may be old tech but I love the sound... and they run! My question is about the new car craft article, is a 4" bore realistic in a 318 on a budget? where do you get 4" pistons with the correct compression height on a budget? I'd like to use my forged 3.31 crank, so I can spin it way up there, but a 4" bore would make a massive difference!!

alot of good information here...but i say you go to something like a 265/60 or 275/60 since you should be able to fit that under the cuda no problems, and then maybe something like a 3.73 gear...traction and gear will always help in those "stoplight battles" if you know what i mean

get 9.0 or CR use magnum heads (stock w/1.6 rockers) new from eq heads or hughs, or a reman set. next set would be a set of reworked 302, 1.88 valves ect.. but that will cost $$. a set of magnums would be the best bang for the buck.. if you get used mag heads watch them for cracks.

cam id go with the xe 256 or 262 if you use mag heads remember the lift will be larger with the 1.6 rockers vs the 1.5 and you will need lifters and PR with oil holes in them.. oh you will need a set of PR for the mag heads/LA block.

carb i would maybe use a TQ tweeked by demonsizzler or an eddy,

RPM air gap.. or the cross winds for the magnum heads.

headers..

roller chain with tensioner,

ask the machine shop to get you the right pistons for the right qench

a good ignition system, like the MSD E-curve dist..
wires,coil ect..

a good rebuilt trans, like a 904 with a low gear set, good 5 disc clutches,wider band, TF2 kit and TC. Or if you do a lot of highway driving maybe sqeeze a OD in it with 3.73 gears in the rear.

then tune tune tune and go play..

any way you build it, it will run good and strong for many years.. you will love it

Don

get 9.0 or CR use magnum heads (stock w/1.6 rockers) new from eq heads or hughs, or a reman set. next set would be a set of reworked 302, 1.88 valves ect.. but that will cost $$. a set of magnums would be the best bang for the buck.. if you get used mag heads watch them for cracks.

cam id go with the xe 256 or 262 if you use mag heads remember the lift will be larger with the 1.6 rockers vs the 1.5 and you will need lifters and PR with oil holes in them.. oh you will need a set of PR for the mag heads/LA block.

headers..

wires,coil ect..

a good rebuilt trans, like a 904 with a low gear set, good 5 disc clutches,wider band, TF2 kit and TC. Or if you do a lot of highway driving maybe sqeeze a OD in it with 3.73 gears in the rear.

any way you build it, it will run good and strong for many years.. you will love it

Don

Good idea Don. I've got the Magnum Parts for the motor.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=86038

Mike

headers..

wires,coil ect..

Don

That is my combo and I am very impressed.

Great advice folks. I am soaking in all of this information. In a few weeks I should be able to get the 318 and 904 apart and then mount the 318 to a stand and begin the process of tear down and inspection/cleaning. Like I said my little 273 is running great so the 318 build will be a over time build as I am in no rush. This is my first engine build so there will be a lot of learning involved. I need to keep in mind all those who have suggestions and still need to check out a good machine shop in my area. More to come!

John D. Beckerley
Austin, Texas

-
Back