Suggestions for alternatives to BFG T/As

-

oldskool

Reaction score
My 68 Cuda with stock suspension is running Rallye wheels with 215 70R14 (front) and 255 60R15 (rear). Aesthetically, I like the rake.

Apparently, I'm finding that these tires have probably been sitting for a while during the previous owner's build. Not a lot of grip (also noticed by my mechanic) so I may be looking at new rubber soon.

What are some options to BFG's have others tried on an A body? I've ran across the Nitto 555 Extreme's but I'm looking more for an all season tire.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions.

I have found the Cobras and the BFGs to be very similar when new.The BFGs seem to lose their grip earlier and then go hard and last a lot longer.I like the Cobras.Neither of them are particularly grippy at 430hp, but theres not much to pick from in the 14/15inch sizes. I have 235/70-14s up front and 295/50-15 on the back of my 68 Formula S.

14's and 15s are tough to find today when it comes to choices in a modern tire. Bfg's are about as good as its going to get unless you go back to a biased ply-ish tire from coker tire (Lots of $$$). I went to a 17 inch wheel because of the availability of modern tires.

I ran Toyo Proxes on my 74 Swinger and really liked them. They are on 15 inch rallye wheels. Might run them for a while on my 70 dart when I get that one going.

Nitto drag radials! Why build a strong running car just to have it spinning it's tires going No where !! I prefer to load up my converter and take off like I was shot out of a cannon!

You guys are killin me. While my car would probably benefit from drag radials, Nittos don't appear to come in 14".

It's gotten to the point where I have to consciously take turns slowly for fear of that damn front end hopping out. Reminds of the years when I ran my 62 VW with 145's up front just for the rake.

Will have to look at Toyos and Coopers.

I am really starting to like these Cooper Cobras, 20 months so far of daily driving, upwards of 45 miles a day and they havent even needed rotated yet, they aint magnetic (picking up metal objects an causing flats) like the BFGs !!!

I have Cooper Cobra's ready to go on my Dart. It's what came with my rims, but would have been my choice if I had to buy. I liked my bfg's on a 92 spirit, but I never racked up that many miles. They sure were sticky after bald tires!

-
Back