Suggestions for new design Aluminum Mopar SB clean slate (kind of) cylinder heads

-
Never happen without tubing them and lost production time. Now on a magnum head it could probably be doable because when bolt holes are hit on non oiling bolt holes I think they leave the head bolt seal everything up. And magnums have non oiling bolt holes.
But, you could port a Speedmaster head for a hot street engine without tubing the pushrod holes and it would be miles ahead of the out of the box heads.

So what is the highest flow volume on a SBM design? No particular head, what is the king of the hill, ported not puttied SBM head? Let’s get it there and move forward. Isn’t that a good start?
@ch1ll Is correct shaft mount rockers RULE.

Take a look at the trickflows especially the rocker shaft mounts. They are much more beefy than the stock heads.

They also work on la and magnum blocks

IMG_0058.jpeg

Symmetrical ports (ala SB2 NASCAR motor)? Maybe with an LS intake or something?

Direct injection?

:rofl:

I know you allready mentioned it will be magnum based, but I would like to point out a valve cover with 10 bolts tends to leak less then one with 5 (while still allowing you to bolt up LA covers, should you want to)

Thank you all for the suggestions. All are appreciated. Please remember goal here is gain some performance while providing you with economically sensible crate engines. It's not to design a 9000 RPM, 900 HP, SB with 13:1 compression that would cost 16K, and we'd sell 5 a year of. If someone wants 800+ HP...we sell Gen III's. Gotta Draw the line somewhere. Some may call it weak, I call it practical. I will note the set here flowing 290 are ported. We'll probably use an as cast version on the current alum head 408, and maybe do a ported set on a bigger one. time will tell. I'm really excited about it. Glad to see the interest!

A 2.08 valve won’t clear some pistons I’m told and is totally unnecessary in a 290 cfm head. A 2.02 with do it and a 2.055 does it easily

Hi PBR. Don't you think the head should be capable of handling a 2.08 intake valve? I remember you commenting a Trick Flow can't accommodate a 2.08. Someone porting this new head might want that 2.08. Just thinking...

I would also prefer shaft oiling, never messed with pushrod oiling, but I guess that's off the table per the OP. I guess I can still say it. : )

Why not just use Trickflows, they can shaft oil, pushrod oil, fit both magnum and LA blocks and use LA bolt patterned intakes..

Sounds like it meets all the stuff you mentioned in your post!

Hi PBR. Don't you think the head should be capable of handling a 2.08 intake valve? I remember you commenting a Trick Flow can't accommodate a 2.08. Someone porting this new head might want that 2.08. Just thinking...

I would also prefer shaft oiling, never messed with pushrod oiling, but I guess that's off the table per the OP. I guess I can still say it. : )

It’s not my head. Lol. But yes a head seat should be big enough for a 2.08 valve as some of us like to do stuff like that. I was just throwing some suggestions out there.

Why not just use Trickflows, they can shaft oil, pushrod oil, fit both magnum and LA blocks and use LA bolt patterned intakes..

Well...I mentioned a 2.08 intake valve as well I think.

Mainly I don't want to add $1500 to the price of our already expensive engine when we can design a head ourselves and remove cost vs today's price. Also relying on an outside manufacture to supply 1000 heads a year is asking for disaster. From what I hear the supply chain on those is super slow.

Oh, here is a thought, can you cast the heads a little taller, so that short valve covers will clear the valve train?

That would be a selling point

It would be nice to have a small efficient chamber with dual quench pads.

Johnny Mac, why don't you contact Chad Speier or Larry Meaux ? They are some of the most knowledge in cyl. heads on the planet. It's great that you are looking in to this ! Thank you

Oh, here is a thought, can you cast the heads a little taller, so that short valve covers will clear the valve train?

That would be a selling point
Good point! If the valve cover rails were a smidge taller, we also wouldn't have to notch our valve covers to gain manifold clearance.

Johnny Mac, why don't you contact Chad Speier or Larry Meaux ? They are some of the most knowledge in cyl. heads on the planet. It's great that you are looking in to this ! Thank you

What he needs is Speedmaster to come out with a cnc’d magnum head with a 2.055 valve.

Good point! If the valve cover rails were a smidge taller, we also wouldn't have to notch our valve covers to gain manifold clearance.
Great point on the manifold clearance...and those taller rails could have saved PBR 330 dollars

Great point on the manifold clearance...and those taller rails could have saved PBR 330 dollars

Trouble is nothing is as simple as it appears. Did you ever notice pushrod notches in the valve cover pan rails. I have and you should see what I have to do to the spacers to even get them to work. I notch the heck out of them. Most guys wouldn’t want to carve on a nice head the way I have to do to those spacers.

-
Back