Suggestions needed: Buying a 1979 Dodge Truck

-

Stepper

Reaction score
I'm going to look at and most likely buy a 1979 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup next week.
Does anyone have any specific things that I should look at or for?

Here's what I know about it...
360 with 120k miles
rear end was rebuilt recently
Auto trans
4x4 works fine

Supposedly everything mechanically and electrically works fine except for:

1. It has dual gas tanks and only one functions. When the switch is thrown to pull fuel from the second tank the truck dies. I guess this could either be the switch or maybe the fuel pump. I'm not that familiar with this topic. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. It has the dual stacked head lights. Only one level of lights work. I believe he said it was technically the high beams that work and if you turn on just the regular lights, the lights won't work. This sounds like a wiring or switch for the high beams issue. Any trouble shooting ideas?

Thanks...any all suggestions welcome

check out the front drive shaft that double knuckle is hard to get parts for I ended up putting in a cv joint there on mine the fuel problem could be a broken fuel line. no idea on the head lights but you might check the grounds.. good luck

Probably the selonoid-it is behind the first tank/on top of the frame,I have one if that is the problem.Dimmer switch is most of the time this problem.Pull the carpet back on the drivers side,two screws then pull the wires off and put a new one on it.Don't waste your time on a used one.They go out quite often.

Make sure the transfer case has Motor Oil (10w30) in it, not gear oil, not transmission fluid. 1974 - 1979 ran a NP203 which runs 10w30 oil. Anything else just shortens the lifespan.

The 203 just happens to be 1 of 2 of the strongest transfer cases ever offered in a Dodge Truck :glasses7: Cast Iron Case too, so it's beefy in more ways than one (aka no need for a skid plate :D ) Full-Time 4x4 (which doesn't actually consume any more gas than a Part-Time truck).

Just don't try to pick one up by yourself... trust me...

Check the frame on the drivers side right in front of steering gear.. Being a 4 x 4 it should be fine but sometimes they do crack.. Not a deal breaker but be advised..If you dont buy it I may be interested I love these trucks..

And if it sounds like the entire rearend exploded when you put it in reverse dont be scared.. Common and can be fixed easily..

these older trucks are notorious for amp gauge/charging/voltage/wiring problems. look for an overheated amp gauge or mickey mouse wiring. as all of our old cars/trucks, corroded or faulty connections at the bulkhead are suspect. i have seen bad wiring jobs and amp gauges cause major issues.

thanks guys....this is exactly the kind of input I was looking for.

If there's anything else....keep it coming.

Thanks again....I'll post pics next week after I pick it up.

Check the steering knuckles. They are almost impossible to find for the 4WD models and quite pricey. My brother had an otherwise really nice Warlock, and traded it because of this.

I'm considering a 79 LRE myself. Found one (actually 2) real cheap locally.

Interested to see where this thread goes.

The most important thing to look for is......all the ford and chevy guys jealousy when you roll past them.They love my powerwagon.goodluck!!

NP203 transfer cases do stretch chains but parts are readily availible, x2 on the transfer case fluid. X2 on the dimmer swtich, generally due to water leaking in from either the windshield or through the air intake cowl for the heater. Check the floor boards for rust too. Check for bad ball joints and front brake rattle, the steering knuckles wear where the caliper rides and the only fix is a new knuckle. THe 9 1/4 rear is strong but is a C clip type axle. Check for rear axle seal leaks. The steering gear wears too. There is some adjustment, but.....

The tailpans (strut under tailgate) rusts bad and replacements are no longer availible, you'll have to rebuild what's left. COme to think of it, you may have a D60 since it's a 3/4 ton.

The most important thing to look for is......all the ford and chevy guys jealousy when you roll past them.They love my powerwagon.goodluck!!

No doubt about that. I get tons of compliments on my old Power Wagon (AKA The Burger)..

Attachments

• power wagon.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 112
If yoy want honesty Its a bad year. If the truck is solid its a good platform. The transfer cases and the front rears are not that great.

1. full time transfer case and they are not that strong also you are always spinning the front driveshaft

2. the fromt rear has sealed bearings which are not servicable. There is no inner and outer bearing nor lockout hubs. Any type of oversized tire with wider wheels destroys them pretty quick.

These years can be upgraded with a newer front rear and transfer case change over. Fuel milage will increase drastically. This year trans and motors are strong,. The cam is the only downfall.

The problem with the lights is probably the dimmer switch . If not the bulbs could all be bad on High beam side from a over charge issue do to a bad voltage regulater or ground. Make sure the floors are solid and not that they were rotted and repaired . This could have shorted the dimmer switch from water,

This transfer case on these trucks work like a differential. When in 2wd it pulls with front or rear. If you jack up the rear the back tires spin. If you jack up the front the front tires spin. When you put it in low or high lock it locks the transfer and it conects the front and rear differential. Anotherwards if yo put your front tires in a mud hole and the rear tires on dry the front will spin and not the rear . this is also true with the rear tires unless it is in Lock. The chain in these cases are the weak link. If it breaks it usually loccks the rears at any speed. I have cast iron married transfer cases and Dana 60 front diffs from 82 and newer. But there are also alot in U-Pull-it Yards cheap .

I like this year with Quad lights they are my favorate from 73 -80. My favorate of the older trucks are in order 92-93 then 79-80 then 70-71. then 72. Pre 73 had divorced transfers they were strong and versitle . One thing I did to alot of automatics in those years was installed a a body 4 spds. They go right in.

I had a 1971 1/2 ton shortbed Built T/A 340 sixpack 4spd 4wd with a 8 3/4 410 sure grip. That truck was a sleeper on the street. Made me alot of money and a Chevelle.

The pics below are the same truck before and after resto and 2005 diesel swap. Painless wire harness made it easy

Attachments

• DSCF2838.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 104
  • steve 026.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 99
  • steve 027.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 94
Again...thanks.
Follow up questions to some of your suggestions to look for.....

A couple posts referenced the front driveshaft. What am I looking for that would indicate problems?

And the steering knuckles. Am I just looking for sloppy play with the caliper? Or is there some other sign that the knuckles are bad?

-
Back