Summit 3" exhuast kit

-

andysauto1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
has anyone here ever installed Summit 3" exhast kit from headers back. If so, how well did it fit? Just looking for opinions before I spend the money, thanks in advance

Im a big fan of those kits from summit/jegs. I’ve only used the 2.5” kits personally, but they slip together easily.

I recommend getting the kit without the mufflers and buying something from dynomax/magnaflo etc... I like the ultraflo.

There are members here that have in the past, just wait on there responses. As I have only done the 2-1/2 kit, I echo the above.

What I do remember about the 3 inch kit is obviously it’s a bit tighter and with moved in springs, it’s a no go. The tubes are too big to fit with the springs moved inboard.

One the Summit brand mufflers, they do flow pretty good. Yes there’s better. Engine Masters did a shoot out on the 2-1/2 mufflers with the Summit brand doing surprisingly very well.
No do on the 3 inch mufflers.

To me, muffler choice comes down to ether sound or performance and sometimes it’s both but I don’t normally hear “I got both” from people that are particular on sound. Some just don’t care.

At a 3 inch tube/muffler size, it’s power handling capabilities are really good.

The car engine was stone cold on this November day where you can hear the Jegs (Summit the same) exhaust kit and mufflers on a low compression 318 w/Hooker 1-5//8 headers recorded from the cell phone. (Old video)

If the sound isn’t all there for you, choose the muffler you want to use and install it. The kit can come without mufflers. FWIW, they performed very well on the Engine Masters show.

Dynomax mufflers are a little quieter and have more low tone.
Hooker Aero Chanbers are about the same with an exhaust note that is a little raspy or ratty muscle sound.
The flow through ultra flows provide the best flow rates and are pretty darn nice sounding. Even though there a glass pack type of muffler, they don’t sound like glass packs.

Below is another old video with Hooker Aero Chambers on a low compression 400B engine and headers. 2-1/2 exhaust. Another stone cold engine.

2.5" is tight passing the gas tank on the passenger side, I couldn't imagine trying to get 3: through there.

1705773000905.jpeg

FYI
Hooker has 3" Stainless Steel header back system with x pipe for $371
All 304 stainless steel. I believe the summit system is aluminized steel...
Free Shipping from the Holley EBay store.
This is the 3" system. They also have a 2.5" system for similar price, 3" is actually a couple bucks less...
BH23112 Hooker BlackHeart Crossmember Back Exhaust System
1705773979318.png

I ordered the Hooker Blackheart 2.5" system. Should be receiving it in a couple days.

FYI
This is the 3" system. They also have a 2.5" system for similar price, 3" is actually a couple bucks less...
View attachment 1716195034

I ordered the Hooker Blackheart 2.5" system. Should be receiving it in a couple days.
Stainless, with an x-pipe. Under $400 is a heck of a deal.
Andy's auto, how big an engine, displacement or hp?
400", 400hp or less, I'd use 2 1/2. 450hp 440, I'd use 3".
I built my own 3 1/2 system several years back (twice, two cars). Today, I'd use either jegs or Summit 3", no question.
I would probably use magnaflow or ultraflow mufflers, tho I have used aeros and flowmasters (currently using flowmasters and magnaflows)

FYI
View attachment 1716195034

Holy S! That’s a deal and a half with all stainless pipes. Good one man!

After looking at all your replies, fastback69cuda's picture sold me on the 2 1/2 exhuast. My car has 3" on it now but it is so mickey mouse looking I wouldn't want anybody to see it. Just trying to have a nice low maintenance driver. Thank all of you for your advise

Here’s my 340 duster, long tube headers w/ 2.5” summit turbo mufflers with Mopar purple cam… not a bad kit honestly

Mine had a 3 inch header back setup on it when I bought it. I took it off and sold it. It was too big for the space and always banged around. No clearance in axle area for brake lines.

I did the 2.5" on my Duster, it fit good, I had to cut one pipe, and buy an additional 1' of pipe from the parts store.
I did tack weld the pipes, then removed them and welded them all the way around, no leaks. It was pretty easy and straigh-foward.

My buddy on the other hand ran a complete 5" exhaust on his truck from the turbo back to the bumper, and its a gas engine, custom made it, with no tubing bender, just bought the curves and welded it, it took him a few weeks to do that one.

-
Back