Summit cam

-

Valiant72

Reaction score
Hi. First time I've tried this so I hope I don't mess up. I'm in the process of putting a 360 in my 72 Valiant. The motor was in good shape so I change the intake, got headers and installed a Summit 276/286, 441 lift cam and double roller timing set. I read in Mopar Action that it was a good choice for my limited budget. Anyone ran this cam? How's the low end? How about the idle? I was hoping for a little lope but it seems the numbers are fairly mild. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Valiant72 said:
Hi. First time I've tried this so I hope I don't mess up. I'm in the process of putting a 360 in my 72 Valiant. The motor was in good shape so I change the intake, got headers and installed a Summit 276/286, 441 lift cam and double roller timing set. I read in Mopar Action that it was a good choice for my limited budget. Anyone ran this cam? How's the low end? How about the idle? I was hoping for a little lope but it seems the numbers are fairly mild. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

It should work pretty good in a 360,
I looked at that cam for my 318, and felt it was too much for a 318 with 2:94 gears.

:)

I think that's the cam I put in my 318, that's in a '76 B200.
I used the van to pull my car trailer. If it's the same cam, it worked fairly well for pulling, didn't need to change the torque converter, and it sounded good when you got your foot into it. The idle was fairly tame, and I was running a 650 Holley double pumper,stock 4bbl intake, stock exhaust system.

Thanks Mopower, I'm going to run the Thermoquad on a Edelbrock 360 Performer. I'm hoping to get the engine bay painted tomorrow and get the engine in next week. It was orginally a six car, so I still have a lot to do. Happy New Year.

New guy with old car here..Hi Y'all

I have the Summit K6901 in my 360. Much better choice than a 340 resto cam. I had a 340 cam in my old 318 and it was flat compared to this cam.

I am also running a set 0f 302 heads on my 360 apparently not supposed to be good but, I don't do EVERYTHING like I should.

Thanks for the input. I've been interested in hot rodding for 45 yrs. (makes me feel older than dirt) and usually $ always keeps me from doing it the best way but it makes a guy creative. Sounds like I made a good chose for the money. This sure is a great site for information and great ideas.

I have used this same cam three different times over the years. Once in a car ,318 ,performer intake,headers, 600 holley, worked great. Then in a pickup, 318, another performer intake, headers, and Holley Pro-Jection, awesome towing and midrange. A little weak down low. Probably the injection not being tuned. I now have it may Roadrunner, 360, stock 340 intake,headers and 625 Carter. Works perfect!!!

-
Back