Summit small block cam

-

Babyblue66

Cool dude
Reaction score
I'm sure its been mentioned here before, but I just used one in a friends 340. It was a sort of budget build and I have wanted to try one. It the 218-228, 441 .441 lift on a 115 lsa.
Engine is 9.7 to one, 1.88-1.60 valves, thermoquad intake with adapter for an Edelbrock 750, and stock 360 ex manifolds.
Good machine work, a Serdi valve job, and balanced.
Its in a 68 Satellite, with too high, 2.73 gears currently.

But damn, at about 20mph kicked down into 1st gear this thing really goes! I'm actually very impressed with this little motor being set up as it is.

Its powerful as is, but With nice headers, a performer RPM and a Holley, with lower gears, it would really be a fast motor. And it idles like a stocker with good vacuum.

I've heard good feedback about it before but it's always nice to see someone else say something about it. I don't know who grinds Summit's cams but them must be decent. A buddy of mine put a Summit RV grind (204/214, .420 lift) in his work truck (Chevy 400) and it worked great.

Fishy; Crane cams grinds Summit cams.

B-Blue;

Your not going to see much gain with a Holley or a RPM. But a change of gears to 3.23-3.55's will be nice.

Spent the money where it counts, quality valve job.Good man!

Yepper! Crane is underrated these days for some reason.

Fishy; Crane cams grinds Summit cams.

B-Blue;

Your not going to see much gain with a Holley or a RPM. But a change of gears to 3.23-3.55's will be nice.

I agree gears would help with the addition of headers and a holley.

He most likely will go to 3.23s. Just wants a nice cruiser.

I agree gears would help with the addition of headers and a holley.

He most likely will go to 3.23s. Just wants a nice cruiser.

Depends on what you feel is nice. My 3.91 gear car I coast the sub at 20-25 mph in 2nd gear when the engine is cold cause the 3.91's just seem to lug the engine..once warm I do 3rd at 1,200 rpm in the sub.

Yes 75 mph can get old fast and if the exhaust is loud, forget it. Yet at 55 mph the 3.91's feel "just right" IMO

MPG is what's going to hurt the most. My 340 feels happy doing 3 to 4 grand on the freeways but gas mileage stinks.

In the old days , these hot rod cars with 4.10 gears got better MPG in the city vs the freeway. Checkout the 1970 car mags test results, I've seen numbers of 12-14 in the city and 9 - 11 on the freeways..I had to look twice and first thought it was a mistake but then reading comments in 1970 Motor Trend 440 6 pack road test "90 to 110 mph is quicker / safer with the 4.10 gear vs 3.55's" it all made sense. People used to drive 80 mph plus on the few freeways they had back then, 4.10 gear cars came with forged cranks-pistons for a reason, so they live a long happy life..which was 75,000 miles back then, lol

Give anyone the specs and they will grind an identical cam. The R&D is where the big names make their money. Lunati has a great grinder with some cutting edge patterns but its up to Lunati to let him do them. for 250, I would go with a cam grinder that would do you right with all your input, probably couldnt cost much more. I ran a Chet Herbert stage 2 cam in a stockish 318 in my old '65 A and that thing rocked, even though the cam grinding machine was probably 50 years old itself, all nasty looking in the machine shop next to his place in Anaheim. Chet himself recommended it right from his wheelchair. I didnt know who it was until years later when I heard he died and was reading his obit on another board that he worked in his shop. Cool!

-
Back