Summit small block cams

-
We’re just using the cam from Summit, it’s straight, no sign of binding in the block. Machined and finished quality like any others I’ve dealt with. No worries there.

Only concern I’m thinking would be with the Made in Mexico Sealed Power and Melling lifters (same) we’ll be using. We’ve had them on the shelf for over 10 years) Fully disassembled, cleaned, lubed and all are crowned.(mandatory to clean/check regardless) There was a lot of black residue on paper cloths and tinted mineral spirits after cleaning.

Whatever this is worth, I put the 6900 cam and lifters in my 318 last year and have driven about 3000 miles with no issues. Used the supplied break-in lube, high zinc oil, and left the stock springs for break-in. I'm ashamed to say, the engine was cranked way too long before firing and running and the cam still seemed to survive. Pulls 19" at idle.
How does it work in your teen? Any videos?

How does it work in your teen? Any videos?
Honestly, it runs fine, but for my driving style I think I would have been better off just leaving the stock cam in place. I was replacing the crappy factory timing chain and decided why not while I was there. 2.76 gears, factory stall, factory 318 manifolds to duals, Edelbrock Performer, 1406 Edelbrock carb. Currently 12 deg initial timing with 34 all in by 2800. I made all the changes at the same time so I don't really know what made the most difference although I suspect it was the 4 barrel and manifold. Better response in high gear is actually the biggest difference I have noticed which may be nothing more than more throttle opening at a given accelerator pedal position. I don't think I have any videos and it's been put into it's winter hibernation. Sorry if this post is kind of rambling.

Honestly, it runs fine, but for my driving style I think I would have been better off just leaving the stock cam in place. I was replacing the crappy factory timing chain and decided why not while I was there. 2.76 gears, factory stall, factory 318 manifolds to duals, Edelbrock Performer, 1406 Edelbrock carb. Currently 12 deg initial timing with 34 all in by 2800. I made all the changes at the same time so I don't really know what made the most difference although I suspect it was the 4 barrel and manifold. Better response in high gear is actually the biggest difference I have noticed which may be nothing more than more throttle opening at a given accelerator pedal position. I don't think I have any videos and it's been put into it's winter hibernation. Sorry if this post is kind of rambling.
Not rambling. Anything related to these line of cams may be helpful to others

Forgot to mention, my teen is a 74 no-compression motor also.

No worries. A increase in performance is always a goal and along with that comes a nice choppy idle that everyone likes

Whatever this is worth, I put the 6900 cam and lifters in my 318 last year and have driven about 3000 miles with no issues. Used the supplied break-in lube, high zinc oil, and left the stock springs for break-in. I'm ashamed to say, the engine was cranked way too long before firing and running and the cam still seemed to survive. Pulls 19" at idle.
That's a good cam. Nothin wrong with it. It's simply a generic Edelbrock Performer cam. Same specs.

Would any of these cams be good for a 273 from a 1965 Dart I am rebuilding? OEM 2 bbl carb, 4 speed A833, 2.9:1 rear end, OEM exhaust manifolds and single tail pipe, A/C, P/S, for street and highway cruising.

I actually did find one short video on my phone of a pre-hibernation walk-around last year. Not a very good video but better than nothing. 750 rpm idle. Hopefully this link works, I've never posted to youtube before.

-
Back