Sunroof Dart (1973) Question???

-

HowardBishop

Reaction score
I had a good discussion about a year ago on 1973 Dodge Dart 340 Cars with Sunroofs. I was hoping to buy one in my area. My question was ......How rare are they? Anyone have some production numbers on these cars?

The response was varied. Some said very rare...maybe less than a 100 made. Some said 200 made. However one reader said he had counted at least 15 in his area.....so ....maybe....not so rare.

Could someone give me some updated information? How many 1973 Dart 340 cu cars produced with factory sunroofs?? The reason I ask....I found one in my area....a project...all there...but rough...I would love to have it.....I want to make a legitimate offer. I'm doing the research now.....your help would be a big assist to me.

They are rare but as far as #s are concerned, I have not found anything diffineative.
In 2003, I saw 3 other sunroof A-Bodies at the Mopar Nationals.

I have 2.
My 73 340 Sport and a 75 /6 rustbucket Sport.

I have a 74 duster w/sunroof and good luck finding parts if you would need any. I haven't found them yet and I am kinda wishing I didnt have one right now, the factory DID NOT install the sunroofs they sent them to a company close to the assembly plants, that much I know.

In terms of 340 cars only, Mopar Muscle published that only 40 1973 340 Sunroof Dusters were produced. There were over 15k 340 Dusters produced that year. There were fewer Dart Sport 340's than Dusters, so I can only speculate that there would be less 1973 Dart Sport 340 Sunroof cars.

I have a 1973 Duster 340 Sunroof. I've had it since 2005. Since then, I have not been able to uncover much info on the subject. Another member (my340) has a thread on this topic as well. I think only a total of 26 or so Dart 340 and Duster 340 combined have responded. So my assumption based on the limited info out there is that 1973 A-bodies with the 340 and sunroof is very rare.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14452&highlight=1973+Duster+340+SUNROOF

I think they are not as rare as people make them out to be. I have seen quite a few 73 340 Dart Sports at shows and in junkyard pictures etc.I own a 73 Petty Blue 340 automatic Dart Sport with the factory crank style sun roof. Its Petty Blue with white stripes down the sides not the up and over stripe it also has the white canopy vinyl top, it has the hood scoop with the hood blackout a white bucket seat interior with the console,tuff wheel,inside hood release,fold down rear seat etc. As another owner said in this post these are extremly hard to find parts for as no one reproduces anything for the sunroof and NOS parts are super scarce.The guy i got my car from parted out a brown,black stripe sunroof 73 340 Dart Sport for parts for the Petty Blue car. As for exact production numbers maybe Galen knows??? I would think maybe at least 200 of them were produced with the 340 but a bunch more were made with the slant 6 and the 318.Still pretty rare by all means but i dont think its rare like only 30 built with the 340. Post some pictures of the car you are looking at to buy.Always good to see some more out there being saved.

I think they are not as rare as people make them out to be. I have seen quite a few 73 340 Dart Sports at shows and in junkyard pictures etc.I own a 73 Petty Blue 340 automatic Dart Sport with the factory crank style sun roof. Its Petty Blue with white stripes down the sides not the up and over stripe it also has the white canopy vinyl top, it has the hood scoop with the hood blackout a white bucket seat interior with the console,tuff wheel,inside hood release,fold down rear seat etc. As another owner said in this post these are extremly hard to find parts for as no one reproduces anything for the sunroof and NOS parts are super scarce.The guy i got my car from parted out a brown,black stripe sunroof 73 340 Dart Sport for parts for the Petty Blue car. As for exact production numbers maybe Galen knows??? I would think maybe at least 200 of them were produced with the 340 but a bunch more were made with the slant 6 and the 318.Still pretty rare by all means but i dont think its rare like only 30 built with the 340. Post some pictures of the car you are looking at to buy.Always good to see some more out there being saved.
I appreciate all the great feedback on the number of 1973 340 Sunroof Darts made. Looks like we all need more info from someplace. I'll keep checking around as I'd like to find out the number produced. That would help all of us with Sunroof Darts from 1973.....and help with pricing to sell and offers on found vehicles. Please keep posting.

I have a 74 duster w/sunroof and good luck finding parts if you would need any. I haven't found them yet and I am kinda wishing I didnt have one right now, the factory DID NOT install the sunroofs they sent them to a company close to the assembly plants, that much I know.
Sounds like a normal MOPAR owner issue regarding parts. I've been looking for a Driver's Side fender extension for a 1967 Chrysler Town and Country Wagon for nearly 5 years. I found one but only got the shell....not the turn signal nor the lens....extra $75 for those plus shipping. Paid $100 plus shipping for the extension shell.

The 340 I'm looking at has been a challenge for me.... as it is a project...all there but rough..... and it's current owner and I are back and forth on price. He says very rare and needs a lot of money. I say Yes...maybe...neither of us can state for sure on rarity..... I think about $800 -$1000 for the project. He won't give me a price....just that it isn't enough money.....oh well. Sounds like maybe I should just walk away and remember to enjoy the chase. Thanks for your post.

In terms of 340 cars only, Mopar Muscle published that only 40 1973 340 Sunroof Dusters were produced. There were over 15k 340 Dusters produced that year. There were fewer Dart Sport 340's than Dusters, so I can only speculate that there would be less 1973 Dart Sport 340 Sunroof cars.

I have a 1973 Duster 340 Sunroof. I've had it since 2005. Since then, I have not been able to uncover much info on the subject. Another member (my340) has a thread on this topic as well. I think only a total of 26 or so Dart 340 and Duster 340 combined have responded. So my assumption based on the limited info out there is that 1973 A-bodies with the 340 and sunroof is very rare.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14452&highlight=1973+Duster+340+SUNROOF
Many thanks for the post. I appreciate the information on the numbers....I didn't realize so few Dusters with sunroofs (340's) were produced. Sounds reasonable that fewer Darts with Sunroofs were produced but I haven't seen production numbers on 1973 340 Darts. Thanks for posting...much appreciated.

I don't know how many Dart Sport 340's came with the Sunroof, but Mopar Muscle printed that only 40 Duster 340's had this option. If they're wrong, I have yet to see them print a retraction.

I appreciate all the great feedback on the number of 1973 340 Sunroof Darts made. Looks like we all need more info from someplace. I'll keep checking around as I'd like to find out the number produced. That would help all of us with Sunroof Darts from 1973.....and help with pricing to sell and offers on found vehicles. Please keep posting.

As it stands, A-bodies aren't at the top of the list of desirability unless it's a big block car. 72' - 74' A-bodies get even less respect. But there will come a time in the next 10 - 15 years when A-bodies become more rare, then you will see the prices go up...especially if they are 340 cars.

If I could buy any a body right now it would be a 73 Dart Sport, 340, 4 speed, sunroof, fold down rear seat in FE5 red.

A buddy of mine had a 73' Dart Sport 340, sunroof back in 1991-1992 time frame. it was black on black. Don't know if it had the space saver option. I'm not even sure what happened to that car. I did buy the 15x6.5 Rallyes off that car and still have those wheels today.

It seems like I see more 340 dart sports with sunroof and like most have a folding rear seat also. My dad bought a 73 340 duster new back in 73. Heres the dealer recommended pricing. No clue where it is today but it was 1 more produced and it didn't have a fold down rear seat. Look for the fender tag readout, probably looks something like this.
sc0142ed07.jpg

I sold my nice but not perfect Basin Street Blue 1973 Duster 340-4spd-3.55sg sunroof/fold down rare seat car three years ago for $15,000. I would consider the sunroof cars rare as production numbers for them would probably have been 1-2% range. When I took mine to shows most people didn't know they produced them with sunroofs back in the "old" days. In the 8 years I had mine I never saw another one in the greater St. Louis area.

I own a #'s matching H-code 73 340 Dart Sport factory sunroof/fold down rear seat car. From my research of production #'s on factory H-code sunroof cars, we can only speculate, as there are no known figures. MY340 was keeping a tally of members here on FABO whom owned sunroof 340 Dart Sports and Dusters, so I'm inclined to believe that his % figures are pretty accurate. I too, have had mine to shows and received the same response he has. I know of 2 other H-code 73 340 Dart Sports in my area, both restored, one a 4 spd, the other auto. Neither have the factory sunroof or fold down seat options. Back in the 80's, a friend of mine had a 74 360 Dart Sport With the factory sunroof/ fold down seat option.

while it is a cool option, i do not see it ever adding any value to the car, especially a dart sport. if it was in a 72 demon would be different, or as they put some in the 340 73 dusters, then it may help alittle. but as for it being in a dart sport, they have to be one of the least desiraqble bodies. i still would love to have one with said options!

while it is a cool option, i do not see it ever adding any value to the car, especially a dart sport. if it was in a 72 demon would be different, or as they put some in the 340 73 dusters, then it may help alittle. but as for it being in a dart sport, they have to be one of the least desiraqble bodies. i still would love to have one with said options!
I beg to differ.Without the header panel and tail-lights,it,s basically a 73 Demon.Undesirable body?Not!!

I have a 73 Dart Sport 340,4 speed,white bucket interior with fold-down rear seat.Through my own research,I know they made 1100 73 Dart Sport 340 cars,just don,t know how many were 4 speeds or Super Blue?:burnout:

you are right, us as enthusiasts, know the only difference in looks is the header and tail panels, but............................................ they are what makes it a dart sport. in every one elses eye.look at the value of a 72 demon, to a next year, which neme changed to dart sport, the price drop is dramatic. it is what it is

i beg to differ!. as you say a 73 dart sport is like a 73 demon....................................totally unfactual!. as they never made a 73 demon. so, therefore, we cannot call it that. but what we can call it is a dart sport+ the lowest value on the chart.

Scott...Per GG's "white book" 1099 73 340 Dart Sport "4 spd." cars were made.

A 73 Dart Sport 340,4 speed is not the lowest on the chart 340Plot.Maybe in the States they are,but anywhere else I would say 6 cyl or 318 cars are of less value.JMO.

nah petty, i thought you would have known i meant as in 340 cars. yes, i know the 318 and /6 cars are even far less.
i do not want to get into a pissing match with you, as i have much respect for you. i was just stating that while us all on here know the sutle difference, the general public sees it as it is, not what is it like.

If I could buy any a body right now it would be a 73 Dart Sport, 340, 4 speed, sunroof, fold down rear seat in FE5 red.

I actually have that car, its a project car and for sale, and has white bucket seat interior. Also has # matching motor .Its stripped to bare metal and has no rust. has bradcast and fender tag as well, $4800.00 obo

YOu have to be a visionary to see the value in a first year 340 sunroof car. 15- 20 years ago, 70-72 340 cars didn't have any value at all. Things change, and once 70 - 72 cars become exhausted, hobbyist/collectors will move onto 73/74 cars.

I found one of these cars for sale and am driving to hopefully purchase it tomorrow.

73' 340 - 4 Speed manual trans. Numbers matching. Optioned with fold down rear seat and metal sunroof.

-
Back