Super Charged Slant Six

-
That thing is cool..........and fast. No lean cylinders with injection.

That thing is cool..........and fast. No lean cylinders with injection.

And, as much as I love turbos, it's really refreshing to see a supercharged engine (and, such a well-executed example) for a change! The fuel injection is the icing on the cake!

And to top it off, the thing is really F-A-S-T!!!

I love it!:love4:

And, as much as I love turbos, it's really refreshing to see a supercharged engine (and, such a well-executed example) for a change! The fuel injection is the icing on the cake!

And to top it off, the thing is really F-A-S-T!!!

I love it!:love4:

bill... i keep seeing stuff like this and it makes me want to build a turbo motor... BUT... the MAXX slant i working out (in my head) might be able to keep up! lol

That's really nice and all but why do people spend THOUSANDS on a setup like that and then run a total BULLSHIT $20 under hood open element air filter? Imagine the difference cold air would make. Even an intercooler. That's just stupid.

bill... i keep seeing stuff like this and it makes me want to build a turbo motor... BUT... the MAXX slant i working out (in my head) might be able to keep up! lol

Wel, when you finally decide to do it (the turbo,) after it's tuned and running well, it's my guess that you'll be asking yourself, "WHY did I wait so long???"

You'll never pick up THREE SECONDS any easier...

I mean, as much of an uphill battle as it is to move the necessary amount of air through those slant 6 ports to make the necessary 500+ horsepower to run low 11'a (or better; look at Ryan's car... 10.70s with a 727!!!,) you're gonna spend $$$$ and a good part of your life pushing that marble up the mountain with your nose... and maybe, end up having to adapt some sort of 4-valve cylinder head to that /6 block... a nightmare, for sure.

I admire your intentions, but I'm wondering if the practical application of forced induction, in this case, just makes too much sense to deny.

My 2-cents...](*,)

Wel, whern you finally decide to do it (the turbo,) after it's tuned and running well, it's my guess that you'll be asking yourself, "WHY did I wait so long???"

You'll never pick up THREE SECONDS any easier...

I mean, as much of an uphill battle as it is to move the necessary amount of air through those slant 6 ports to make the necessary 500+ horsepower to run low 11'a (or better; look at Ryan's car... 10.70s with a 727!!!,) you're gonna spend $$$$ and a good part of your life pushing that marble up the mountain with your nose... and maybe, end up having to adapt some sort of 4-valve cylinder head to that /6 block... a nightmare, for sure.

I admire your intentions, but I'm wondering if the practical application of forced induction, in this case, just makes too much sense to deny.

My 2-cents...](*,)

easier yes... but im not interested in easy...

easier yes... but im not interested in easy...

And, pray tell, what is the appeal of doing things the hard way?

Nobody lives forever; if I don't do this the easy way, I may not LIVE long enough to get it done...

Of course, I'm 72, and you're not.... but, nobody is guaranteed tomorrow. Nobody I know, at least...

And, pray tell, what is the appeal of doing things the hard way?

Nobody lives forever; if I don't do this the easy way, I may not LIVE long enough to get it done...

Of course, I'm 72, and you're not.... but, nobody is guaranteed tomorrow. Nobody I know, at least...

true true...

but think of a 10 second NA slant??

The head Lines Read!! in Little Rock Arkansas!!!! Bill Dedman hit's 9.97 1/4 mile in a slant 6 at Centerville Arkansas drag strip...
Keep on keeping on Bill, you are a great inspiration to us young guns sir :cheers:
You have the history and tec/time in :thumbrig: I know you can see this though :rock:
We are behind you and know you can see the light at the end of the tunnel :burnout::burnout::burnout:
So push that air threw bud :eek:ccasion::eek:ccasion: and let the big wide bearings and crank/rod take you to the top :naka:
This is meant for you and your partner's in crime to do :supz:

Pretty sure I will bee able to run in the 11,30s,after I freshen up my motor.I ran a 11.43 spinning off the line,with over 350 passes on this motor 2 weekends ago.I now have the A/gas and B/gas slant records.This is a all motor on gas,footbrakeing car.Just added 350lbs to the car and will bee going for the C/gas record sept 11th in Sacremento.Current record in c gas is 12.08.Guzzi Mark

Pretty sure I will bee able to run in the 11,30s,after I freshen up my motor.I ran a 11.43 spinning off the line,with over 350 passes on this motor 2 weekends ago.I now have the A/gas and B/gas slant records.This is a all motor on gas,footbrakeing car.Just added 350lbs to the car and will bee going for the C/gas record sept 11th in Sacremento.Current record in c gas is 12.08.Guzzi Mark

Good luck Mark! That little black car is awesome!

I'm sure you'll git r dun at Sacramento...

Keep us posted!:icon_smi:

:blackeye:
true true...

but think of a 10 second NA slant??

I did... and I went to the Wallace Calculators site, an online computer dedicated to mathematically predicting e.t.'s and speeds from weight/horsepower figures.

I don't know how accurate this program is, but experience with it has proven it to be SOMEWHAT accurate. I would be the last person to say it's anything approaching "dead-on." Too many variables to take into consideration.

But, for example, and just for grins, lets look at the results for Mark's engine, a pretty maxed-out combination, currently running very well, I think:

He's looking for an 11.3, having just run an 11.43, at (I THINK) 2300 pounds.

Wallace says that (11.3) will take 315 horsepower, at 2300 pounds.

At that same weight, a 10.90 would take 351 horsepower, or approximately 1.5 hp per cubic inch.

Call me a doomsayer, but Mark's car is VERY LIGHT for an A body (at 2300 pounds, I believe) and 1.5 horsepower per cubic inch is asking a LOT from a slant six cylinder head normally aspirated, regardless of how much work has been done on it.

I don't know if your plans include the Dart body you're currently running, and whether you have plans to adapt some form of 4-valve head to a slant 6 block, but without an EXTREMELY light chassis AND a 4-valve head, I don't see this happening (a 10-second NA Slant 6) in MY lifetime (which won't be very much longer, in any case...)

With the small bore/long stroke configuration that is part and parcel of the /6 design, and the limitations that come with it relative to valve size, the breathing that would be required to make 1.5 hp per cubic inch just doesn't seem to be there.

Bore and stroke it to 280 cubic inches, and all you've done is make an already poor-breathing engine, worse.
I don't think this 10-second car is gonna happen, normally-aspirated.

Just my 2-cents.

Now, tell me what's wrong with my argument...:blackeye:

The head Lines Read!! in Little Rock Arkansas!!!! Bill Dedman hit's 9.97 1/4 mile in a slant 6 at Centerville Arkansas drag strip...
d:supz:eek:

That takes a lot of imagination, for sure!!! For one thing, there is no 1/4 mile racing at Centerville. The headline more likely would say, "Bill Dedman's turbocharged '64 Valiant goes 9.97 in the eighth mile at the Centervillle drag strip."

THAT is something that might actually happen!!!:happy7:

I appreciate all the support, but let's not turn this into science fiction... LOL!

That takes a lot of imagination, for sure!!! For one thing, there is no 1/4 mile racing at Centerville. The headline more likely would say, "Bill Dedman's turbocharged '64 Valiant goes 9.97 in the eighth mile at the Centervillle drag strip."

I appreciate all the support, but let's not turn this into science fiction... LOL!

Oop's my bad Bill ](*,) lets make that a 6:97 at Centerville :eek:ccasion:

9.97,yeah right !!! My last /6 Dart ran that,and yours sure as hell has that one beat !!!

9.97,yeah right !!! My last /6 Dart ran that,and yours sure as hell has that one beat !!!

Well, time will tell. We haven't beaten ANYONE, yet!!!! When and IF we do, I'll let you all know.... trust me!

We're trying to get this thing done for bragging rights, but so far, we don't have anything to brag about.:?

We really DO appreciate the great support, and it means a whole lot to us. Stay tuned; we're putting together the fuel system and wiring harness ths week. We'll get there; we're just S-L-O-W...:sad7:

Well, time will tell. We haven't beaten ANYONE, yet!!!! When and IF we do, I'll let you all know.... trust me!

We're trying to get this thing done for bragging rights, but so far, we don't have anything to brag about.:?

We really DO appreciate the great support, and it means a whole lot to us. Stay tuned; we're putting together the fuel system and wiring harness ths week. We'll get there; we're just S-L-O-W...:sad7:
Bill we are pulling for you.

Bill we are pulling for you.

Thanks, Reb.... we need all the help we can get... and, that's more truth than poetry.

Tom and Ryan have set the bar pretty high for us with their amazing flyers, and we're probably foolish to even try to get into their terrritory, but somebody said, "a man's reach should always exceed his grasp," so we figured that was more truth than poetry, so here we are.... ](*,)

Thanks, Reb.... we need all the help we can get... and, that's more truth than poetry.

Tom and Ryan have set the bar pretty high for us with their amazing flyers, and we're probably foolish to even try to get into their terrritory, but somebody said, "a man's reach should always exceed his grasp," so we figured that was more truth than poetry, so here we are.... ](*,)

Looks like it will be a good match up.

:blackeye:

I did... and I went to the Wallace Calculators site, an online computer dedicated to mathematically predicting e.t.'s and speeds from weight/horsepower figures.

I don't know how accurate this program is, but experience with it has proven it to be SOMEWHAT accurate. I would be the last person to say it's anything approaching "dead-on." Too many variables to take into consideration.

But, for example, and just for grins, lets look at the results for Mark's engine, a pretty maxed-out combination, currently running very well, I think:

He's looking for an 11.3, having just run an 11.43, at (I THINK) 2300 pounds.

Wallace says that (11.3) will take 315 horsepower, at 2300 pounds.

At that same weight, a 10.90 would take 351 horsepower, or approximately 1.5 hp per cubic inch.

Call me a doomsayer, but Mark's car is VERY LIGHT for an A body (at 2300 pounds, I believe) and 1.5 horsepower per cubic inch is asking a LOT from a slant six cylinder head normally aspirated, regardless of how much work has been done on it.

I don't know if your plans include the Dart body you're currently running, and whether you have plans to adapt some form of 4-valve head to a slant 6 block, but without an EXTREMELY light chassis AND a 4-valve head, I don't see this happening (a 10-second NA Slant 6) in MY lifetime (which won't be very much longer, in any case...)

With the small bore/long stroke configuration that is part and parcel of the /6 design, and the limitations that come with it relative to valve size, the breathing that would be required to make 1.5 hp per cubic inch just doesn't seem to be there.

Bore and stroke it to 280 cubic inches, and all you've done is make an already poor-breathing engine, worse.
I don't think this 10-second car is gonna happen, normally-aspirated.

Just my 2-cents.

Now, tell me what's wrong with my argument...:blackeye:

well it probably wont be a 4 valve head but something of the sort...

and how did you know i was looking for around 300 cubes? LOL

well it probably wont be a 4 valve head but something of the sort...

and how did you know i was looking for around 300 cubes? LOL

"well it probably wont be a 4 valve head but something of the sort..."

Hmmm.... a 3-valve head????

I give up... My imagination is limited.... obviously.

IMHO, the limiting factor on power production with a /6 motor is NOT the size of the motor, but rather, the breathing ability of that cylinder head that has breathing commensurate with a 170 cubic inch motor.

And, there is not much that I am aware of in terms of a head that woud flow sufficient numbers for 250 cubic inches, much less 300.

But, what do I know? You've built a lot more of these motors than I have...:notworth: And that's the truth!!!

-
Back