Super rare air cleaner for /6

-

Serj22

Reaction score
Well, not really, but I remember someone trying to sell one like this.
There are limited options for the single barrel in aftermarket without raising the air cleaner into the hood with a riser adapter...
I thought it would look neato - really nothing else to it. IT also makes my dart sound like a big diesel truck up front now.

Took the stock air cleaner and put a screw right through the center of it on a 4x4 on end in a vice, then laid a grinder on it and let it spin (wearing proper safety attire) The cut was clean.

I donated the scrap piece to science, then used a wire wheel on a drill to remove all the paint stuff and weird textured coating.

I cleaned it up a bit more with some 220 and then shot it with some race me orange engine enamel because it was in the shop - and I don't know - neat.

After three coats, and some dry time, I put it back on the car. Woah - old filter is way too small...

So I went to an autoparts store to find one that would fit in the outer ring of the pie tin and be tall enough to hit the lid. The guy at the desk opened a few boxes and found an obsolete air cleaner element off a different chrysler that fit and was almost 3" tall. It basically needed to be 10 1/4" wide, and have a 2 3/4" height to work. It was $7.99. Perfect.

Now I'm debating cutting the lower lip off the pie tin or painting it orange as well... I think the orange would be super cool and different rather than having it look completely like an aftermarket one...

I got one just like that, but mine is a bit smaller but still open element. 1bbl.

I got one just like that, but mine is a bit smaller but still open element. 1bbl.

I saw one off a beetle or something that would fit. is that the one you're talking about ? It's maybe 5" diameter or something?

I wanted to make it look big, even though it's not...:D

Very creative and a well dun job, I would do the same but I am hung up on getting fresh air in this Arkansas heat, Very nicely dun :cheers:

Nice work. I wonder if one could realize similar using an aftermarket chrome air cleaner for 4 bbl with a carb adapter. I bought some on ebay for 2 bbl's (2 different sizes), but don't recall if they have for 1 bbl.

I agree that the air cleaner can greatly affect the sound. My 64 slant is so quiet I can barely tell it is running, with the factory air cleaner, but I expect the thin gap chokes air flow.

kewl little fab project , not to steal a thred, but I have an original I would sell unpainted and unmolested of 65 barracuda 225 is faded but never painted .or he could do you 1 just like his or your colors. nice work motor looks gr8

looks great !!

I kind of did the same thing with a super rare dual snorkel motor home air cleaner , just like the one for sale here on fabo for 165.00 , only I paid 40 for mine . cut out the center, and used it as an open element

Attachments

• rb116.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 483
  • rb117.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 498
  • rb118.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 485
  • rb119.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 478
looks great !!

I kind of did the same thing with a super rare dual snorkel motor home air cleaner , just like the one for sale here on fabo for 165.00 , only I paid 40 for mine . cut out the center, and used it as an open element

I paid even less for mine. Is that super rare $165 one still for sale? It would be killwr to have the original. I heard chrysler made it during the revolutionary war, but the british pulled it from production because it made way too much maybe free will in the colonies or something. Maybe im remembering the story wrong. Yours loiks awesome. I was thinking abiut cutting it smaller to get the original aor cleaber to fit, but opted fpr leaving it big. Its also hard to type on my phone

Here, it looks cut like yours

Attachments

• IMG_20130505_215432.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 458
Hey, cool! So now can you hear that little 1 barrel sucking air when you punch it? SSSSSS.......CHAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!!

-
Back