Super Six Cost

-

hoosierdaddy

Reaction score
Does anyone have feel for market value of a super six set up ? I can't seem to find any info and the reason I ask is I know where there is a 77 Aspen for sale as a complete car with a Super Six setup . I don't really want to buy a complete car , also would this car have a cast or forged crank ?

Does anyone have feel for market value of a super six set up ? I can't seem to find any info and the reason I ask is I know where there is a 77 Aspen for sale as a complete car with a Super Six setup . I don't really want to buy a complete car , also would this car have a cast or forged crank ?
Intakes alone can go for 300+

I know where there is a 77 Aspen for sale as a complete car with a Super Six setup . I don't really want to buy a complete car , also would this car have a cast or forged crank ?

77 slant should have a cast crank.

Intakes alone can go for 300+

A young lady bought the last intake I had and happy to get it at $200. Also threw in the still mated exhaust manifold.

I just sold an 82 S/6 transplant from a truck that I ran in my dart for 8-10 years.
Running well when pulled out of my dart for a frame rail and 318 engine transplant.

Sold the engine complete with transmission and rad with engine stand for $240.

My add was up for 2 months when finally someone took it off my hands.

Just for reference...I bought a really nice iron 2 barrel intake at Carlisle last year for $130.

The value of the 2-bbl intake is probably limited by the price of after-market aluminum 4-bbl intakes, which is ~$250 for a Offenhauser or Clifford and ~$500 for the wild long-runner Hurricane (Australia). Some here grabbed Offy intakes a few years ago at ~$120 when they showed up on J.C. Whitney site (long gone). You also need adapters for the throttle and auto-transmission controls. The most desirable factory 2-bbl is an aluminum one, but not the thin e-beam welded ones seen on trucks (ugly & sometimes porous welds). If the Aspen has a Sanden AC compressor, grab that plus the p.s. bracket (Saginaw pump). Those might have started in 1978. I got it off a ~78 Volare.

Personally, I don't think a cast iron super six manifold alone is worth more then about $150. If you have a complete system (intake, good carb, air cleaner, kickdown linkage, linkage/spring brackets) then it might be worth $300

PS: The exhaust manifold is the same, whether 1 bbl are 2 bbl.

You can just make one from a old one throater intake I have seen really good custom jobs.

Does anyone have feel for market value of a super six set up ?

Depends on day, location, phase of the moon, fate, etc. A complete setup (intake, usable/rebuildable carburetor, complete throttle and kickdown linkage with all brackets and springs, air cleaner) can reasonably and dependably fetch $250 to $350. An intake alone might once in awhile go for an elevated price like $300 if you happen to offer it at the same time someone desperately needs it.

That car would have originally come with an engine with a cast crank.

I agree with Dan. Bare intakes are not worth much ... you need the throttle bracket, and all related parts to be worth anything. I have bought all my bare intakes back in Mo for $50,,,, I have a guy back there now that has some on trucks I will get next time back complet, if I have time, for $75. Spares should I need.
Slant stuff can be bought plenty cheap but not on Feebay!!

You guys have to remember that in the rust belt there are NO MORE OLD CARS sitting in junkyards and fields around here. Disappeared a couple decades ago. So I get my stuff where I can.

I remember the California members of the Barracudas Owners Group would go junkyarding on a Saturday 20 years ago and I'd tell them to grab what they could because the parts tree was going to dry up one day. A 1969 Barracuda fender was worth the same as A 1997 Camry fender when they got shredded. Like buying cheese at the deli, it's by the pound.

Last edited:
Parts I find are in the hands of enthusiasts. When scrape got high, the dopers cleared the countryside of scrape, the old timers that owned boneyards crushed at that time also. There is way more parts/projects lying around MO , Ks than here in Tx seems to me. And way cheaper there too.

-
Back