Super six quarter mile time ?

-
In 2010 we drove my wifes '73 Duster to MATS. It had a super six with an autolight 2100 carb, recurved distributor and stock exhaust. It ran 21 seconds in the quarter. Slowest car there, it was assume. And I got to watch 2 of the fastest slant cars run from the staging lane.

My 64 Dart super six four speed 3.55 Clifford cam ran 11.8 but that was at a eighth of a mile convert it over it should be low 17s 1/4 mile

No it will be faster than that. The conversion is like 4 and some seconds. So you would have been high 15s or low 16s........not bad, really.

Such questions always bring out the haters w/ V-8's who shouldn't troll the Slant forum. A few slant 1/4-mile runs on youtube:
9.09 sec, www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPm0POxQuNk
9.85 sec, (not a Mopar body): www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QeUq647mfE
61 Lancer (toad) beats a new HellCat: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHkEidYitcI

The first 2 are w/ a turbocharger, which overcomes the small inlet valves. Bill Dedman's posts discuss that at length.
Of course, you also need big sticky rear tires, be willing to abuse your transmission and rear-end, have skill, and convert you car into something that is just a drag-racing toy.

That MPH is really low on the 9.09 . We did 9.22 @ 151. Our street car does 8.47 @ 163 @ 3900lbs. Not a /6 for sure!

No it will be faster than that. The conversion is like 4 and some seconds. So you would have been high 15s or low 16s........not bad, really.

Incorrect. 1/8th et x1.57 is the conversion. NHRA uses " 1.6" as the factor I believe. That thing was running 18.50s.

Incorrect. 1/8th et x1.57 is the conversion. NHRA uses " 1.6" as the factor I believe. That thing was running 18.50s.
It's useless to calculate anything based on the ET period. He's launching/stirring a stick, w/street meats most likely, that makes the first 1/8 useless at predicting the 1/4.
He needs to post the 1/8 MPH, then You have something to go on......................................

That's strange, because we used to add roughly 4 seconds to our 1/8 mile times and it was almost always dead nuts on what the 1/4 mile times were. I've never used a calculator.

last 1/8 mile time is obviously determined by the speed of the vehicle. Usually, I add a little more than half of the 1/8 mile time to the 1/8 mile time to get you close on the 1/4 mile time. So a car that runs 10.00 flat in the 1/8, I'd guess it to run about 15.40.

That's strange, because we used to add roughly 4 seconds to our 1/8 mile times and it was almost always dead nuts on what the 1/4 mile times were. I've never used a calculator.

Maybe it was the speed of your cars. If you were running low 11 - high 10 cars your minus 4 rule of thumb would kind of work. Low 7 to high 6 in 1/8.

I guess the NHRA could really use your guys advice. They're probably a bunch of amateurs, not pros like you guys!

318willruns method isn't too far off, but RRR is way off.

Last edited:
last 1/8 mile time is obviously determined by the speed of the vehicle. Usually, I add a little more than half of the 1/8 mile time to the 1/8 mile time to get you close on the 1/4 mile time. So a car that runs 10.00 flat in the 1/8, I'd guess it to run about 15.40.

That would be the same as times it by 1.57 or 1.6.

To get 15.40 would be times 1.54.

I guess the NHRA could really use your guys advice. They're probably a bunch of amateurs, not pros like you guys!

318willruns method isn't too far off, but RRR is way off.

I didnt read anyone saying NHRA is wrong.

That would be the same as times it by 1.57 or 1.6.

To get 15.40 would be times 1.54.

As we all know, there is no "correct" math for knowing the 1/4 mile times off of the 1/8. For instance, a car with Turbo lag may have a real bad 60 ft, but might have amazing mph for the 1/8 time, making the last 1/8 "less time". It's all approx. Here is my "low dollar 318" E.T. slip, MPH was good but 60 ft was terrible.
dscn0872-jpg-jpg.jpg

My 65 Valiant with a 170, In between as a NHRA legal stocker, could run mid 16's
Really Charrlie? You ran a /6 in NHRA stock? You are one of my heroes now.

I don't think a stock slant with a 2.76 would ever see 19's.

When they used to have a /6 race class at the Mopar Nats, my gearhead son and I would always rush over to the track when they announced it.

I wish I could've baselined my 225 64 Val but the engine was locked up when I got it. Maybe this year I'll try it now that it's rebuilt. It's handicapped because it has 3 on the tree. Probably good for the 7-1/4 though. Maybe I can get a handicap sticker.

I guess when someone asks, "What's your dial-in?"
I'll just say Sundial!

Last edited:
I have a super six w/ 2.76 gears. Dyno'd at 95 hp/135ft.lbs to the wheels. I ran at Tucson last year and I'm going again this year. I don't remember exact numbers and the only difference is that I have an electric fan now so hopefully that will cut it down from 19.8X to 19.8x ;)

While I've enjoyed the humor :D .... i think the slant has been sold a little short (not much, but a little short). I know my Duster with a junkyard super six intake and carb, and cutting that head .100, really made the car come alive. Just those two mods, beat a track proven 17.2's Dynasty I had (Duster could pull in on the street 1/4), and when we put 3.55's in it, it totally wasn't a race.

Really Charrlie? You ran a /6 in NHRA stock? You are one of my heroes now.

Ran Z/SA in 1974, 75, 76. Could run about .8 under the index, the last year. The neatest race I was in, was at Englishtown, NJ, at a GOLD CUP Series, Stock eliminator race. Several record holders, among, about 40 entries. The final was my Z/SA 65 Valiant with a 170, against Ray Valpreada (sp), Y/SA 67 Plymouth SW with a 225. Two lowest class cars, and both slant sixes. You should have heard the high dollar, high class car owners cry. 1976 was a good year for me. Won every "local" stock eliminator race, runner up at the Division One Bracket finals, and runner up at the Bracket Nationals in Byron, Il.

As we all know, there is no "correct" math for knowing the 1/4 mile times off of the 1/8. For instance, a car with Turbo lag may have a real bad 60 ft, but might have amazing mph for the 1/8 time, making the last 1/8 "less time". It's all approx. Here is my "low dollar 318" E.T. slip, MPH was good but 60 ft was terrible.
View attachment 1715128519
Right on,.......wheelspin, missing a gear etc. etc. will totally screw the 1/8 ET but not affect the 2nd 1/8 velocity rate one bit, totally skewing any reliable guess. Rule of
thumbs only work on well sorted units operating in the same general realm of performance with no significant traction/shift issues.................. MPH is the std. to guage
any potential performance including a minimum possible ET, and will translate no matter how poor the chassis/driver(Well, almost no matter), that is Your "for real" P/W
numbers on the track, on the ground, and with no variables other than atmospheric conditions affecting output.

That thing is crying if you listen!!! Turbo!!! Turbo!!!!! waaaaaaa........!!
turbo-dual-side.jpg

Or maybe it's.................

5675495742_e0c9d620a6_z-jpg.jpg

yeah i know i have room for improvement in general with response times. i been wanting to add a dual exhaust to a y pipe but trying to do it on the cheap welding and cutting stock ex manifolds some how. maybe even throw on a four barrel but the cars quick and fun for a 225.

I have a super six w/ 2.76 gears. Dyno'd at 95 hp/135ft.lbs to the wheels. I ran at Tucson last year and I'm going again this year. I don't remember exact numbers and the only difference is that I have an electric fan now so hopefully that will cut it down from 19.8X to 19.8x ;)

I will see you there in my More door slant six. I am leaving from Irwindale Friday to drive to Tuscon. I have a one barrel slant so we will see what it does.

dart1.jpg

I'm leaving Thursday to go camping in Chiricahua MN. I'll cruise over to Tucson on Friday afternoon. I know quite a few people that are going so if you see my car, a big white Caddy ElDorado, or a bunch of Crown Vics come on over because I'll probably be around them. Oh, and we should definitely run against each other, just for kicks.

That thing is crying if you listen!!! Turbo!!! Turbo!!!!! waaaaaaa........!!
View attachment 1715128670

Or maybe it's.................

View attachment 1715128671
Well, after pinching and soldering up the center cores in the rad for the hole so the hand crank will pass through, the top one should run great...especially w/the weight
savings of no starter and a crank made of Al-u-minimum.................................

-
Back