SUPER STOCK or XHD LEAF SPRINGS?

-

Dandy Don

Reaction score
I would like to raise the rear of my 73 Hemi Duster to run 15x8 "steelies"
with BFG 275-60x15 Drag Radials.Currently the car has stock 340 springs with an extra leaf.
Mancini offers the Super Stock Mopar springs as well as a spring he refers to as XHD (Extra-Heavy Duty).
How good (or bad) are SS springs on the street? Are they overly stiff?
How much will they raise the rear?
Anyone know anything about the XHD springs?

I have the ss springs on my 72 duster. They're ok for the street. I'm using M/T drag radials 275-60-15. They fit fine. I had to use the offset spring package to fit them in with my wheels (centerline). I only have about 5/8" to the springs now with them moved over 1''. Something you had better look at.

don

I also have a question about SS springs. I have a 72 swinger and I mini tubbed and relocated my springs into the frame. I'm running 28 x 12 x 15 right now but I don't like the stance and would like to lower the rear of the car a few inches. Does anyone know how to get the rear sitting lower using the super stock springs? I was thinking about using a 1-2" lowering block or perhaps removing a leaf or 2 but I'm not sure how that will affect it since I will be at the track sometimes. Are lowering blocks allowed at tracks? Will just removing a leaf or two lower it much and will it still be able to handle some abuse if I do remove 1 or 2 segments? I'm not digging the 4x4 look anymore but was hoping not to have to buy new springs or go to coil overs to resolve this.

Check this out. I cut this out of the thread to get you going.

Put mine in today, centerbolt was normal, and oddly enough the brand markings on the springs were the same as the markings on the Mancini Racing Version of the Super Stock springs, marked "JRS" assuming thats the manufacturer...They sit a little lower than the SS's and just pushing down on the back of the car, they are alot less stiff...

http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php?topic=862.0

on my 66 the super stock springs are stiff and raise the car quite a bit, maybe 2", but for a 2900# car it is probobly a little stiffer than a 3200# car would be. they are 3000# springs.

My sons Dart really did not raise alot when we put the 002 and 003 SS springs. Maybe an inch or two at the most. Ron

96473376.jpg

i used stock springs for a chrysler 5th ave in my '74 duster. they fit great and gave me about 2" of lift. i used 275/60/15 bfg's on centerline wheels and everything fit fine. i did'nt even have to move the springs. stock shackels and all! ihope that helps some.
cliff "haslunhammer"
'62 valiant signet 200 360/904

SO do I take it the SS springs are the same as JC whitney? I also looked for a set on a 67 Barracuda there and they only showed a 6 leafer. What do you all recomend? a 5 leaf and look them up under a 67 Dart? Thanks.

Heres mine 002/003 ss springs. It sits about 2" to high for my liking.

IM000584.gif

Its a good idea. Im using the Mopar Perf. shocks. They pretty cheap, about $30ea.

Has any one else ordered the XHD springs from JC ? I was wondering which way to go on my car? SS springs from Mopar? 5 leafs or 6 leafs from JC? I want to raise the back of my car about an inch or so but not REAL high. Thanks.

I have ordered XHD springs from Mopar. I will post pics as soon as I get them and get them in. My SS springs are very dead. IMHO if you like the jacked look or track your car often get the SS springs, If your car is mostly street go stock/XHD.

I got the 2003 and 2002 and got about 6 inches lift from my oldies. They were frowning. I have 26x8.5x15 tires and have plenty of room for 28x11x15's. Get these springs for your duster.

I used B Body springs in my 67 instead of going to S/S I was told that they work well, the car sits low and and is stiff, most of my driving is done around town and I haven't been to the track yet, besides my little my 273 isn't going to break any records
I want the car to sit the way I want it

I have got the SS springs on my duster i like the look it's got but i am running 11.5x28x15 QTP's on the back with out cutting anything. go to my web page and look at it that's all .

Suregrip391 said:
How many leafs are they? Stock type and XHD?

The springs that are coming out are SS (manual trans) springs from the Direct Connection days, about 20 years old and have 6 leafs. The new Mopar Performance XHD springs have 5 leafs. I also have what I think are my stock springs and they have 6 leafs.

-
Back