Supercharger Kit

-
I think it was the motor he used in his road race car.

Either way, my only point was that it didn't live at 7500 RPM, but broke the block. Wasn't tossing the number out to say "look what it made", or compare it to anything. Just a label.

I'm not in the /6 game anymore, so I really don't have a dog in hunt here. Just sharing what my (spotty) memory had.
I have old customers that truck pull and turbo a Chevy Merlin block (they blew everything else up) They run 50+#

I agree with you Toolman, In the early 70's the owner of a local Sunoco station built a drag race VW Bug.It ran low 10's. That was extremely fast for it's time.
But, it would only make 1 or 2 passes before the engine would fail.
I guess what I'm getting at is yes it can be done,but for a cost.

Probably a 198 rod motor. Purposely built for sure. Anything can be done. I could probably build a 370 NA 273 and spin it 7500 as well. But why? Just to say I did. You can do that easily with a 360 and the right bolt on parts or a fairly mild 4" stroke 318. I guess my point is, a slant 6 is not the most strong block around especially if you're packing air inside.

You have my same attitude. Sure you could push the little 273 to7500, but why make something.....anything, IMO work that hard? It's just not necessary......well unless you want to break stuff. I want my engines to last.

results? or a link...not sure if that is a subscription service or not. would love to see results posted here for the rich.

He was shooting for stock 383 hp numbers, went to a smaller pulley on the blower and popped the stock felpro head gasket. I think it made like 320ish hp when it popped. Fresh stock short block, ported head with big valves, mild-ish cam, surfaces of head and blocked were milled for more compression pretty sure. Header and offy intake, 750 carb.. Wish there was a link to post but they are a subscription service now.

That 9.09 second slant is awesome! GD, I got to get back into the MS project in the garage!

In the first part of the video that Charrlie posted,the little red & white Dart is my old car. 13.12 N/A.

In the first part of the video that Charrlie posted,the little red & white Dart is my old car. 13.12 N/A.
For a "heavier" car, and normally aspirated, it really runs great. Most slant cars are smaller, lighter bodies. That's why I quit running my Barracuda, and went to my Valiant. It was just plain too heavy for a 170 at 3250lbs

He was shooting for stock 383 hp numbers, went to a smaller pulley on the blower and popped the stock felpro head gasket. I think it made like 320ish hp when it popped. Fresh stock short block, ported head with big valves, mild-ish cam, surfaces of head and blocked were milled for more compression pretty sure. Header and offy intake, 750 carb.. Wish there was a link to post but they are a subscription service now.

I sure don't have $2800 for that setup.... but I am building a /6 that I hope to get to "stock for mid 80s" 360 truck motor rated HP, only gotta get to 155-165 to achieve that.... I'm thinking that what I am after, won't be as hard...hard to accomplish, or that hard on the engine.

and you gotta remember, the /6 with only 4 mains is stronger than many give it credit for, being as how those 4 mains are the same mains as would be in a Big block.... pretty beefy. but not "lots of 10 sec passes" beefy...for that, I agree, that more support for the crank (more main bearing journals) would help the engine stay together for longer than can be expected, with only 4.

but it brings up some of the same Qs that I asked when I built up the 318 that was in another D-series truck I used to have.... There is a point where you are getting best bang for buck with power upgrades, out of a given engine. Yeah, more power may be possible beyond that, but at what cost? and (I'll stay with a slant, for this next part) say you have a 90hp Slant that is a dog, but will stay together and run for 300-400K miles..... dependable for years. Maintenance, driving habits, weight of chassis, gear ratio, etc all being equal, can the same endurance and longevity be expected out of a 150HP slant? How bout 200hp slant?
where is the tipping point, where you have built up an engine to the most power that can be expected, before longevity suffers? (yes, I know that some of those built to the max, aren't daily drivers any more)
Is it where it won't idle at a stoplight anymore? Lower? Higher?
is there a measure that can be used to know when that point is reached, before you get major carnage? I guess that "would" be a sign that your engine is past that point....

Last edited:
-
Back