Supercharging a 440 Stroker

-

bbdemon

Reaction score
Hello all,
Ive been reading this forum for quite some time now but this is my frst post. I'm building a 72 Demon I just recently bought so I figured I might as well introduce myself because I'm sure I'll have a tone of questions. My buddy keeps telling me to go with a supercharged 440 stroker. Can this even be done? I'm building this mostly for weekend rides and the occasional strip so I want it to be some what reliable. I'm asking because I'm about to pick up a 440 block and kinda need some direction on what crank I should be after and I havn't seen/heard anyone run this setup. Maybe someone can help me out...

Well for starters you'd need to build a car that could handle quadruple-digit HP levels, because you're going to be making at least 1200...

a bone stock 440 with a 8.71 blower 906 heads,,BDS claims 600 horse power easy,,

if you want a street motor and drag race once in a while,,you can get a decent complete package blower ready motor,,and blower,,carbs tuned correctly,,,all the things that you would end up doing more then once till you got it right,,,

go to BIG ALS TOY BOX web site he has affordable prices for complete packages,,,,he is in MASS

Ok lol, realistically I want to be in the 700whp range thats why I was told that setup. So basicly it would be too much to stroke/supercharge it? Then whats better to get me around where I want to be or am I thinking too big all together?

Ok lol, realistically I want to be in the 700whp range thats why I was told that setup. So basicly it would be too much to stroke/supercharge it? Then whats better to get me around where I want to be or am I thinking too big all together?

you can get to the 700 hp power level,,with a super charger or turbo,,,how big is your bank account?//

speed costs how fast you wanna go,,,,,,

a bone stock 440 with a 8.71 blower 906 heads,,BDS claims 600 horse power easy,,

if you want a street motor and drag race once in a while,,you can get a decent complete package blower ready motor,,and blower,,carbs tuned correctly,,,all the things that you would end up doing more then once till you got it right,,,

go to BIG ALS TOY BOX web site he has affordable prices for complete packages,,,,he is in MASS

As tempting as that is I dont have the funds to buy something like that in one shot. Half the reason I'm wanting to do this anyways is so me and my son can work on it together, but I do want it to be done right the first time. I was origionally thinking the 871 kit from blowerdriveservice.com but that will have to be the last thing on the engine (next Tax season). So if I am planning on supercharging this thing, would stroking it be worth it or overkill?

this should work for ya and keep ya busy for a bit. my 71 demon with a 512 cu. in.

new Pictures 009.jpg

new Pictures 008.jpg

Bob's car rules.

Since this may be new to you, this would be a starting point worth considering (a Dana 60 rear axle):

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html

Don't worry about a block just yet. Not every block you pick up off Craigslist gets sonic-checked and passes to be able to withstand a 700hp blown big block.

You may want to check with 440source.com and see what blocks they have for sale (they are pretty affordable) and if they have a warranty for them or something.

Who knows, you may get lucky with that first Craigslist block though?

Good luck,
Tyson

I am new to building a car from scratch but I am a mechanic by profession so I'm new but im not if that makes sense. I was thinking that I'd start engine and tranny since I need that installed to get my desired ride hight when Its time to mount the diff and it whould give me more time to see if I can stumble on a dana at the bone yards, or am I way off here too?

Also the junk yards close to me have a few blocks which is where I was gonna buy from and take to a machine shop to ensure it was good. Not sure what waranty they have on em' tho. Is this a bad idea for my plans? Their $1400 on 440source which is why I stopped looking but I'd rather pay that then waste money on something that won't work for what I'm building. Thats why I'm here to see what you guys recommend. Thx for all the replies...

I think you may be a bit behind the curve so-to-speak on what it takes in a Mopar to do what you want. What type of mechanic are you? (not snotty, I'm curious to see where you're starting from) If you are building a full car, the engine and trans are the last things to worry about. Get yourself a core block, preferrably free (cracked, holed, whatever) and get a transmission of the type you'll be using. Order the rear new from Cass Eslick (Dr Diff on line). It's cheaper, and you can order any width, suspension type, and brake pacakge you want to. You won't stumble accross a usable dana 60 for a car in a junk yard, and you'll spend more cash on converting a truck 60 for your use than Cass charges. You need the rear suspension, the front suspension, and a mock up driveline to start the project. You also ned to know what the car needs to do for you, and the approximate horsepower of the package. That's to figure out what braking systems and suspension you need. Always start with the chassis (which in Mopar's case means the bodywork and suspension).

I think you may be a bit behind the curve so-to-speak on what it takes in a Mopar to do what you want. What type of mechanic are you? (not snotty, I'm curious to see where you're starting from) If you are building a full car, the engine and trans are the last things to worry about. Get yourself a core block, preferrably free (cracked, holed, whatever) and get a transmission of the type you'll be using. Order the rear new from Cass Eslick (Dr Diff on line). It's cheaper, and you can order any width, suspension type, and brake pacakge you want to. You won't stumble accross a usable dana 60 for a car in a junk yard, and you'll spend more cash on converting a truck 60 for your use than Cass charges. You need the rear suspension, the front suspension, and a mock up driveline to start the project. You also ned to know what the car needs to do for you, and the approximate horsepower of the package. That's to figure out what braking systems and suspension you need. Always start with the chassis (which in Mopar's case means the bodywork and suspension).

Ahhh so i'm working backwards...got it.
I was a mechainc for 3yrs before going active duty. Did alot of brake and top end rebuilds at a mom and pop shop. I'm now a diesel mechanic for the army for the past 7yrs. Ive done complete engine tear downs and a few down to the frame on military equipment but nothing like what I am wanting to do with the demon. Are you talking about the Dana 60 or the Mopar 8 3/4 on Dr Diff? Is their a formula or something that I use to determine 'x" amount of hp needs 'y' amount of braking/suspension? Thanks for the help! Im glad you guys have a site like this because I would have started all jacked up lol.

ok, before you start buying stuff. purchase "street supercharging", a mopar engine and a chassis book and read EVERYTHING first. what you'll need to do to the hotrod is tie the frames, at least mini tub it or do a back half, install at least an eight point cage. go with a dana 60 with at least superstock springs or perferably ladder bars and coil-overs. what ever your budget dictates. after all the reading and building your hotrod start planing the motor and trans. on the street you only need a +.060" over 440 and 727. on top of this a 6 or 8-71 and two blower carbs. put the tallest, widest tires is the rear that will fit with a bit a wheel well body work.

wow 700 at the treads! that would run hi 8's in a well sorted A-body :shock:
Iv seen a 68 charger with a 493 and a procharger, 440-source rotating assembly and heads to I think.
It runs a blow thru holley, no intercooler and it go's well into the 10's with 323's, a mopar j converter and full exharst!
Its triple black, 12"wide rear tyers and 4" off the ground. such a cool car =P~

ok, before you start buying stuff. purchase "street supercharging", a mopar engine and a chassis book and read EVERYTHING first. what you'll need to do to the hotrod is tie the frames, at least mini tub it or do a back half, install at least an eight point cage. go with a dana 60 with at least superstock springs or perferably ladder bars and coil-overs. what ever your budget dictates. after all the reading and building your hotrod start planing the motor and trans. on the street you only need a +.060" over 440 and 727. on top of this a 6 or 8-71 and two blower carbs. put the tallest, widest tires is the rear that will fit with a bit a wheel well body work.

Ok thx for the help bOb. Thats where i'll start then. And thx for everyone else replying and helping out!

I am buying a 70 date code on a 440 big block and a 727 both stock out of a mobile home, the tacometer says 646 miles. This was sitting in storage for a long time, how much is this worth?

I found a 70 date code 440 with 727 in a mobile home. just over 600 origional miles on motor. I was told 400 for the set.

400 is a good price for a compltete 440,, and even better with a tranny with it,,, getting harder to find complete 440 motors,,,make sure its a 440,,and not a 400 or 413,,, mopar used 413 s in motor homes up unitll the late 1970s even tho they did not use them in a car after 1963 or 64

a 413 and 440 will have the raised block in front of the intake behind the water pump top of block,,,the 400 wont the last 3 numbers,,before the dash on the drivers side above the starter will tell you what is it,,,also if its a 413 or 440 it should be stamped on that top boss

cant imagne the cost of the demon motor kooooooool

yes there is a few coins tied up in the motor and related hardware. i did buy a new kb stg 10 block, barrel valve, fuel filter, steel rocker shalf holddowns, egt computer and assorted fittings new. these i didn't have and needed. everything else is used or rebuilt so as to keep cost down to a managable level.

Thank you, IDk what it is, cuz the guy pulled it and has it in a garage and got rid of the ride... but either way its bigger than a 225 and a 360 so I gotta shove it down in my 1970 Duster.

rbssuperchargers.com and dragparts.com have some real good deals on new, rebuilt and used parts. pretty much anything you need. rbs has a 6-71 unpolished and rebuilt for $1200 and a new 440 intake for $500. check out thier websites. there are alot of good used parts websites out there to help keep costs in check.

440 Turbo?

Just DAY-UMMMM.....
...I hope you win some big $$$ on the weekends.

-
Back