Sure Grip Oil

-

68 Coronet RT

68 GTS # 508 in Registry
Reaction score
I'm changing out the 3:23 sure grip for a 3:91 sure grip and I was wondering what everyone is using for gear oil and what weight

I think I used Valvoline 75/140 if I remember correctly.

Don't forget the friction modifier.

I use Ford 75W140 Synthetic oil and Ford Fluid XL-3 Friction Modifier Additive - 4 oz. in my sure grip. I get it free from my brother inlaw who is a Ford tech.

I used Valvoline 80/90 with Ford friction modifier. Mopar and GM have modifier also. I got it from Dr Diff when I ordered a few other parts. Fill it up and go out and do figure 8's in a parking lot for a few rounds. It wouldn't hurt to recheck the level.

I rebuilt a lot of Dana 60 power locks and the people I get the parts from say don't use anything but GM additive with the steel clutches, that is what they come with from the factory. Not sure about some aftermarket rebuild kits that have fiber clutches.

GM Power Lock Additive.jpg

75w90 Torco and depending on the differential one of two of the Torco additives.

Torco is the only GL-6 gear oil I know of.

Doesn't anyone buy factory service manuals anymore?

I'm most likely going to use the Lucas oil 80W90 or the 85W140, both oils have the sure grip additive in them and Lucas is a name you can really trust they make a great . Castrol also make a 80W90 oil with the sure grip additive in it but I'm leaning more towards the Lucas 80W90

I'm most likely going to use the Lucas oil 80W90 or the 85W140, both oils have the sure grip additive in them and Lucas is a name you can really trust they make a great . Castrol also make a 80W90 oil with the sure grip additive in it but I'm leaning more towards the Lucas 80W90

Don't know why you want a 140 unless you are just beating the **** out of it.

My post said I was leaning towards the 80W90

You can run the CHEAPEST 80w90 you can find with the limited slip additive. I PREFER the Ford friction modifier, but any of it will work fine, as long as you use ENOUGH. Noneed for fancy shmancy synthetics or anything else. The biggest thing is if the rear end is FULL of gear oil.

I run GM stuff, they still run that unit in the trucks that have Dana 60, 70, & 80's

GM Power Lock Additive.jpg

Edit: it looks like I already posted this, dah

I remember dad changing the rear end oil in his old mopar when I was a kid.
He said he had to add "skunk oil" additive to the oil, that he got from Chrysler.
I was old enough to know that skunks stink, I asked what "skunk oil" is, he said I do not know, but it smells really bad like a skunk, and the factory service manual says you have to use it in this rear end.

-
Back