survivor vs restoration

-

booker t jones

Reaction score
DSCF8797.JPG
this is a 66 coronet if no body objects to it being on a body forum, the car is complete original running 79000 miles the only non original part is the carburetor but the original is in trunk so there will be questions the first question the tires are dry rotted coopers so I sayreplace them with generic 14 inch tires as you would expect to find on a 51 year old car can toou still buy 14 inch tires without going to coker
DSCF8796.JPG
DSCF8797.JPG

DSCF8801.JPG

DSCF8802.JPG

Very nice! There's a lot of 'survivors' around that are far less original than that. I'd rebuild the original carb and put it back on. As for tires, there are 14 inch white walls around but the options are limited. I just got Uniroyal Tiger Paws for my Duster. I saw some from Hankook. I'm sure there are more, but all the ones I saw only offer a few sizes. Of course they are radials. Don't know about bias ply like these cars would have had originally.

Last edited:
It's in nice shape, just fix what's broke, you don't need to do more than that....

starts really quick don't idle down diesels when cut off probably a little out of time tires a little dry rot needs a good buffing and cleaning all window winders froze hopefuly a little wd 40 solves this only known problems

starts really quick don't idle down diesels when cut off probably a little out of time tires a little dry rot needs a good buffing and cleaning all window winders froze hopefuly a little wd 40 solves this only known problems

Make sure that the throttle plates are closing all the way - maybe the accelerator cable is too tight and not letting it get to idle, or they are hanging up on some build-up in the carb...

Also check for vacuum leaks around the intake ports, carb base, and any vacuum lines/hoses...

Then check timing...

Good looking car, normal 14s not hard to find, fix what it needs and drive the wheels off of it

That's a beauty. Looks like a perfect survivor / driver to me. Honestly, the more doors don't get a lot of appreciation, so spending a ton on it wouldn't do much to improve on the fact that it has made it this long and looks like it does. Great find, nice car! :thumbsup:

I think what makes this unusual is having the original poly 318 and transmission which appear to be in great shape note the dealer insp sticker dated 10 22 65 build date was 10 9 65 I was a young marine at quantico va soon to be in vietnam on that day
DSCF8807.JPG

DSCF8808.JPG

DSCF8809.JPG

Nice car! I'd do what I can to make it a daily driver, better breaks, wider tires, electrical as necessary and enjoy it!

Great car. I love cars like this. They are only original once.

For safety new tires are a must along with the rubber brake hoses. It won't matter if it's original if you can only stop it by running into a tree!
For reliability new ignition wires and rad hoses too.

Dual exhaust would be a good upgrade if it doesn't already have it... 2 1/4" - 2 1/2" with a nice set of low restriction turbo mufflers...

I pretty much quit driving the old cars in 05 got a new gt mustang traded in 13 new challenger rt 6 speed traded it in june for a ram 5.7 crew cab and will get a new scat pack shaker when they do sublime green I will still find and drive these but not as much as in the past

Cool ride. I also agree on the braking parts upgrade...replace all the rubber and a dual pot master cylinder would be the first thing on my list.

gave miss daisy a good warm sponge bath may have copped a feel or two checked out her underside absolutely no rust problems in floor pans rockers or frame rails the lower fender bolts still have factory paint on them whats the metric conversion on this tire size also size you would recommend think that
DSCF8816.JPG
DSCF8815.JPG
DSCF8817.JPG
w is 735x14 whitewall

drove single master cyl cars from 1960 to 69 when I got a new superbee my recollection was you get a soft pedal before you have a major brake failure my cars were much junkier than this one
DSCF8767.JPG

went to title&tag today needed a copy of power of attorney tracked down daughter of owners learned a lot about car bought new in wythville va nov 65 car was used sparingly as the were a farm family and mostly drove the 48 ih truck car was main car until 04&keptt in garage when they got a new Nissan at that time it was kept in a machinery shed registered as an antique vehicle and ocassionaly driven 2 years ago wife was put in nurseing home car was tarped and not started since husband must have died in 04 and the title put in her sole name so basically a 1 owner car today was a pain in the *** but its titled tagged insured and went on about a 5 mile cruise and did well a little bumpy probbavly tire issues

went to title&tag today needed a copy of power of attorney tracked down daughter of owners learned a lot about car bought new in wythville va nov 65 car was used sparingly as the were a farm family and mostly drove the 48 ih truck car was main car until 04&keptt in garage when they got a new Nissan at that time it was kept in a machinery shed registered as an antique vehicle and ocassionaly driven 2 years ago wife was put in nurseing home car was tarped and not started since husband must have died in 04 and the title put in her sole name so basically a 1 owner car today was a pain in the *** but its titled tagged insured and went on about a 5 mile cruise and did well a little bumpy probbavly tire issues
drained the old gas and replaced the filter added 5 gal pure 93 octanelso runs much better don't stall out have moved the 67 dart in the next bay and think I can work out registration issues inside putting up new gsrsge doors need to work out heat&light before cold
DSCF8702.JPG

She's a clean machine. Definitely a "survivor" or a "un-restored original" if you prefer. There only like that once. Tires, brakes, and tune. Have fun with it. When you pull into a car cruise you will be suprised how much attention it attracts. SCORE!!!!!

-
Back