Susie R/T

-
unfortunately its poor resolution when you upload pics to this site[/QUOTE]

try posting your pics from photo bucket....I up load mine at 1024x768, quick to load and is a good size on the forum....[/QUOTE]

ok, first try at photo bucket

removed the windshield out and now that its out ....I am convinced this the only way to do this car completely...... found some rust in one corner and most of the windshield trim clips are broken or rusty so I feel a lot better about it now and I think it is worth the money to know its done right.

The windshield removal wasn't all that bad .......just a lot of time with a knife and a windshield tool that looks a lot like a nunchuck. I had to have a friend help me and listen to her whining the whole time but we got it done.

I found that spraying the gasket with carb cleaner helped loosen it up. It was still labor getting it out.

The gasket was completely junk ....someone had silicone it along the way to help stop leaks which I don't think helped much and the gasket was hard and not pliable .......basically poo poo .....I am glad now that I didn't try to save it.

I like the blocks on your pedals

when I put those in, I had a different seat in there which was not very comfy..... the block helped me stop because the brakes are junk on the car so an extra 3/4 inch of brake pedal means the difference between stopping and hitting the garage door :D

hopefully I wont need the blocks anymore with a re-done seat and re-done brakes....and the newly added clutch pedal

Most of the really clean non-rally dash parts that came out have been donated to a GTX on its way back to life.

To my surprise, very little swaps from the non-rally dash to the rally dash. really only the ash tray, upper pad , and radio work ......everything else is different.

now I am going to have an extra non-rally frame and extra parts for another project :D:D:D

a little disappointing after I did some wire brushing on the floor .....the floors are rustier than I thought because I found some holes. :banghead: all under the dash #-o

found some motivation ....in searching for parts online I came across this picture which is exactly what I am fixin to accomplish with this car. Oh Glory will be the day my interior looks like this :D

Attachments

• 151875_Interior_Web.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 376
The build is far from over. Slowed a little this month due to empty purse/wallet syndrome.

in the beginning of thread showed an orange four speed that was slated to go into this car. Problem is that it was a "borrowed" unit from another project.

I hate to rob peter to pay paul as they say and I really don't like parting out my own project car to build another one of my own cars.....just feels unwholesome.

So the solution was to go with a 727 and floor shift. I considered it since I have multiple 727s laying around and I had a complete auto console for this car.

After thinking about it and over thinking and oh by the way, thinking about it some more.

I decided I would be settling with an auto however beautiful it may be.

So a good way to slow any build and add $1500.+ to the cost of the build.....add 4speed....doh.

So I did it ....just couldn't help it.

In a very smooth deal with a Gentleman in MI. on facebook......this car's own 4 speed arrives.

Of course it can never be that easy.

The new 4 speed has a 4.8 inch bearing retainer and the BB bell I have has a 4.3" bearing retainer hole ...>DOH!!!!

Soooo the option and first reaction was to get a smaller bearing retainer and see if it fits on the trans. Then wait a min.!!!!! the bell with the smaller bearing retainer opening is for a 10.5 inch clutch. The bell that is correct for a 68 BB is actually #2892262 and it has a ****gasp*** 4.8" hole that corresponds with the trans.

So the options are to turn a bearing retainer down or bore a bell out (don't really care for either)

OR

get the correct bell and upgrade to a correct 11 inch clutch. (oh, crap more money as those are not cheap)

after thinking about it and thinking about ...and then some more....I am still not sure.

I think I am going to take the bearing retainer off and bolt it to the bell I have and put it in the car for mock up while I cut out the floor for the four speed hump.

once the trans and driveline is in for mock up we have a GO, to start the cutting and welding.....(a spare 383 is being used for this mock up duty since the final 440 is not ready yet)

thanks everyone!! and yes the shipping crate surprised me too lol.

I also found there is a difference in the crossmember between auto and 4 speed. So after doing some homework I found the two are the same EXCEPT the auto has a box section welded to the front of it and the center is not open to allow for the mount to mount in the 4 speed location.

from underneath you can see where the mount would be located in either case. The same mount itself is used just the location changes according to what transmission.

from the top it shows the area needed to be cut open. The mount will mount through this window for the 4 speed location

the front box section for the auto location must come off or it will interfere with the four speed.

so far I got the front box section cut off and that is all I got this early morning.....more to come on this

kinda hard to get full effect with no dash and the wrong console body but I wanted to see what it looks like before I finish trimming and welding the hump in. I cut the floor open enough to mount the shifter on the trans and I also installed the trans into the car bolted up to a spare 383 for mock up parts fitting.

I am getting excited to see the end ....I am really staying focused and that is something I have not done in a long time. I usually jump from car to car and never finish anything, I hoping to stop that long enough to finish this car :D

That looks nice!

Btw, were you on the lookout for an A-body center console? There was a for sale ad on here the other day.

Of course it can never be that easy.

The new 4 speed has a 4.8 inch bearing retainer and the BB bell I have has a 4.3" bearing retainer hole ...>DOH!!!!

Soooo the option and first reaction was to get a smaller bearing retainer and see if it fits on the trans. Then wait a min.!!!!! the bell with the smaller bearing retainer opening is for a 10.5 inch clutch. The bell that is correct for a 68 BB is actually #2892262 and it has a ****gasp*** 4.8" hole that corresponds with the trans.

So the options are to turn a bearing retainer down or bore a bell out (don't really care for either)

OR

get the correct bell and upgrade to a correct 11 inch clutch. (oh, crap more money as those are not cheap)

after thinking about it and thinking about ...and then some more....I am still not sure.

I think I am going to take the bearing retainer off and bolt it to the bell I have and put it in the car for mock up while I cut out the floor for the four speed hump.

I think those retainers have the same bolt pattern so you should be able to just swap to either size bell you decide to use.

nice project btw.

mike bee

I think those retainers have the same bolt pattern so you should be able to just swap to either size bell you decide to use.

nice project btw.

mike bee

not that I didn't believe you but I found a 4.3 bearing retainer and tried it on my 4 gear and you are absolutely correct and this solves a lot of problems because I can just get a new bearing retainer in the size I need and not have to fiddle with mismatched bellhousings.

Attachments

• CIMG5437.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 209
You are going to have a hard time shifting that car with only 2 petals.....lol
Keep at it can't wait to see the finished product.

Nice fab work so far , Rani. ( Curious on where you settle, project wise.. Life & decisions ,change with time..)

-
Back