Suspension advice needed. 73 Scamp

-

Scampalicious

Reaction score
I dont know that much about these cars but I bought a 73 scamp about a year ago and was wanting to fix it up. Im not looking to build a race machine or anything like that, just a daily driver cruiser that looks nice. The car has a slant 6 if this matters. Now I thought I read somewhere that there were some changes from 70-72 to 73+ in the suspension, but I dont remember what exactly(disk brakes, sway bars??). Anyway, as my car sits right now the entire suspension is toasted. It sits really low like how I want it, but not because the car was lowered, but because the suspension is shot. I want to redo the entire suspension but I want the "lowered" look. How do I go about doing this? I've come across a few website that sell entire suspension kits. Is that all i will need to get that lowered "G-Machine" look or will I need new leaf springs too? And If i do need new leafs do I use mono or other?? Also, Is it really necessary to buy polygraphite or just plain rubber? Again, Im not building a 100k car, just a basic beach cruiser for the summer. Also, what do I need to do to be able to put larger wheels on the car? I want big wheels(18 or 19's with low profile tires) like the way chip foose does his cars on overhaulin(that probably sounds really lame) hahah

Ive did some research and it appears summit, pst, and performance suspension all sell the same stuff, but with different prices. Are these all the same kits? And is something like this really worth the price for what you are getting: http://www.performancesuspension.com/gmachStageI.htm

Dont know I can post pictures of other peoples cars here but here is a scamp that I want to build mine like, but a tad lower and a tad bigger wheels.

Scamp.gif

Sorry so long. Any help would be really great.

-I

So, One thing about these cars is the torsion bar suspension. From the rear of the sub frame, you'll see 2 metal bars going into the lower control arms. This takes the job of coil springs on a different brand of car. The steel bars flex with the suspension, and pushes down on the LCA (lower control arm). There is a bolt on the bottom side of the LCA that if you follow, goes into a bracket in the middle of the LCA, then hits up against an adjuster arm for the torsion bar. This is how ride height is adjusted. From the looks of you car in the picture, I'd check that first. The way alot of people lower mopes is by slacking off this adjuster bolt. As far as doing a front suspension build. The 73 and up have bigger spindles, Disks, bigger sway bar, and I believe the Idler and pittman are different as well. Mancini sells the full on suspenion kit for under 300 if I remember correctly. My advice is to invest the 200 to get the proper suspension tools, and you'll need a hammer and chisles to get out the old bushing from the LCA, a press to push in the new bushings, or go to a machine shop. other than that, it's cake. I've attached a suspension pic of what I just did. not the best quality, but it's really nice to clean up all those parts and put fresh paint on the suspension

snap0044.jpg

Welcome aboard scampalicious!
I too recently did the suspension on my duster, but I opted for the rubber stock bushings for mine bought at the local auto parts store.
I read somewhere that the poly bushings like to come apart after a year or two.
I'm sure we will get a number of various opinions, but as mine is also a /6 not a high performance racer I thought that the stock ones would be good enough. As I'm the last owner this car will ever see, I'll have time to switch it up a little to see what handles best for me, but only time will tell.

For the rear I've heard you can lower it by an inch or two by flipping the front mounts on the leaf springs

as for posting pics of other peoples cars, I kinda like the look as well.
This one looks like it's got 17" mustang wheels

In_The_Park2-PS-Clipped-696.JPG

Theres not a lot of room in the wheel wells to be running large diameter rubber on a lowered car.

Depending on how much you want to spend this can be done easy or hard.

For the front I would do what stupidasso said. I wouldnt try to drop it to the ground but only lower it about 2 or 3 inches. This affects your alingment so be careful. For the rear however its simple. Flip the shackles/mounts on the front and rear I believe (more info on that later). This lowers the car between 1 and 1 1/2 inches. Next thing you could do is since its just a cruiser, could possibly take one leaf out of the leaf springs. Other thing is a set of lowering blocks, but keep it small as in 1 inch, get to large and affects handling. If you want to go lower, try the old method that Foose does sometimes, 17s up front and 18s in the rear. Get about the same aspect ratio tire and you have possibly a 1 to 1.5 inch rake.

Hope this helps!

-
Back