Swap out engine with tranny attached or not?

-

65valiantsignet

Reaction score
I am switching out the old 273 for a rebuilt 318 in my 65 dart. Any comments as to easier to leave the tranny attached or removed during the swap out and back in?

separate--- I always had trouble with the push button cable attachment points--- plus it was not that hard to loosen up the bell housing ,Lawrence

If you are doing not trans work, I say leave it in there. What are you doing about the crank/ converter nose register?

if you have to change the transmission its better to put the engine and transmission in as a combo with nearly everything on it, then theres alot less to do under the car
(put starter on, all torque bolts, all belhousing bolts and engine-transmission braces)

Are you going from the top or bottom? If it's from the top a load leveler bar will help tilt the motor to some pretty extreme angles and help a lot in the installation.

From the bottom with a trans on? Your gonna need a couple helpers...

Together, all day. For some reason I have problems bolting everything together under the car, and it takes about 10 extra minutes (+1 helper) to drop the whole thing in as one unit.

I am switching out the old 273 for a rebuilt 318 in my 65 dart. Any comments as to easier to leave the tranny attached or removed during the swap out and back in?

What year is the 318? If it is 1968 or newer you will need a bushing for the crankshaft because the hub on the convertor will be smaller if it is original to the car.

What year is the 318? If it is 1968 or newer you will need a bushing for the crankshaft because the hub on the convertor will be smaller if it is original to the car.
All 318's need the bushing to reduce the crank hole to the smaller diameter. The only cranks that have the small hole are the '67 and earlier slant 6's and 273's.

I,ve done it both ways and find together is quicker.when doing the engine separate, it gives you time under there to check for any leaks,loose bolts,torn mounts.

I will probably take it out as a unit as I am now worried about the converter etc hooking up as the engine is a 69 and the trans is the original from 65 (ball and trunion)

You can get that bushing from Pat Blais. He's on line "T'flite Patty," or "Torqueflie Patty." He is also on ebay. He is a torqueflite expert especially early ones. I got that bushing when I put a 360 in my 66 cuda with the original 904.

-
Back