Swapping out iron J 202 heads for aluminum

-
Good to know. Thanks

look no further than NHRA stockers and how they leave wheels up off the foot with no head and no cam.
Also look at the piles of convertors such guys have sitting around.
Convertors make a huge difference

Ideally if I were to have it in the budget should I do cam, rockers, intake and converter?
I posted, “It’s what I would do.”

The posts of “Look what the super stockers do….” is IMO, not the whole truth. The S/S racers also go through many many sets of rockers to find the best ones. I don’t have the will, want or time to examine every stick rocker for the 16 rockers I need that has the best ratio nor would I be bothered trying to copy there build. I also wouldn’t even look at what they use for a converter and drive the street with it. Why that was even mentioned to begin with as you have a street car is way freakin beyond me.

“Ideally”, is a term or suggested route that I do not like to say must be done or copied. All I can say is, that if I was in your shoes and was wanting the same thing, I know what I would do and I said it above.

The RPM intake will provide more usable torque and not give up any or any meaningful HP up top.
A larger cam will move the power band up. Considering you said this is a street car, I limited the duration @.050 to 230*’s. It’s (should be) still small enough to still use the converter you have.

A greater lift with the cam and/or rockers is a plus since the head flow is (or will) be available to you for more air and fuel to make more power.

A converter will provide the best off the line bang for the buck and as said, show up on the ET slip.

Do what ya want. I said my piece.

I wouldn't bother with a manifold change you're going to have plenty of torque probably more than you can use unless you do Major tire and suspension upgrades. Your cam may be a little on the small side but not enough to worry about right now run it see how you like it I think you will.

I mentioned stockers going through tons of expensive convertors to find one that ET’s the best to point out how important in a car going fast they( convertors) are.
Of course a convertor they run isn't going to be in a streeter, but the importance of a good convertor was the point i was trying to make.

If you do the head swap, I’d also go to more cam and different rockers at the same time.

FWIW, as far as NHRA Stock eliminator and stock rockers goes....... roller rockers have been legal for about 10 years.

What are the specs of the cam do you have in it now?
What do you feel about the drivability and tune-ability of your current setup?

Are you currently running that M1 single plane and 750 DP carb?

Let’s use your current set as a reference point

If you are looking at the Lunati retrofit roller line I’m thinking one or two steps bigger: the 20200711 or 20200712

stay in 110 LSA for tune-ability and drivability on street.

The Lunati…712 size cam upgrade with ported halfway decent aluminum heads will be a noticeable change IF the current cam is smaller than the Lunati …710 you were thinking of. Probably toast those tires on the street so much you might consider keeping the single plane to bleed torque.

Last edited:
Without flow sheets on your iron heads, it's hard to tell. If somebody really knew what they were doin, you may not gain much.

He might not gain HP, but he won't be gaining weight, either....

I posted, “It’s what I would do.”

The posts of “Look what the super stockers do….” is IMO, not the whole truth. The S/S racers also go through many many sets of rockers to find the best ones. I don’t have the will, want or time to examine every stick rocker for the 16 rockers I need that has the best ratio nor would I be bothered trying to copy there build. I also wouldn’t even look at what they use for a converter and drive the street with it. Why that was even mentioned to begin with as you have a street car is way freakin beyond me.

“Ideally”, is a term or suggested route that I do not like to say must be done or copied. All I can say is, that if I was in your shoes and was wanting the same thing, I know what I would do and I said it above.

The RPM intake will provide more usable torque and not give up any or any meaningful HP up top.
A larger cam will move the power band up. Considering you said this is a street car, I limited the duration @.050 to 230*’s. It’s (should be) still small enough to still use the converter you have.

A greater lift with the cam and/or rockers is a plus since the head flow is (or will) be available to you for more air and fuel to make more power.

A converter will provide the best off the line bang for the buck and as said, show up on the ET slip.

Do what ya want. I said my piece.
Best response yet(my opinion)

If you want I could get your J heads Flowed to see where they are at…probably cost you $150…but they would need to be clean

What are the specs of the cam do you have in it now?
What do you feel about the drivability and tune-ability of your current setup?

Are you currently running that M1 single plane and 750 DP carb?

Let’s use your current set as a reference point

If you are looking at the Lunati retrofit roller line I’m thinking one or two steps bigger: the 20200711 or 20200712

stay in 110 LSA for tune-ability and drivability on street.

The Lunati…712 size cam upgrade with ported halfway decent aluminum heads will be a noticeable change IF the current cam is smaller than the Lunati …710 you were thinking of. Probably toast those tires on the street so much you might consider keeping the single plane to bleed torque.

sounds like he has the 711 cam currently.

Retro-Fit Hydraulic Roller. Great mid range torque and power. Likes 2000 RPM stall converter and works great in towing applications with lower gearing. Largest for inboard/outboard performance marine use. ;Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 270/279 ;Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 219/227 ;Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .515/.530 ;LSA/ICL: 112/106 ;Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd ;RPM Range: 1800-5800

A friend of mine has this system where he just feeds the engine camshaft and compression, then when the engine stalls, he feeds it cylinder heads.LOL

-
Back