Sway Bar Question

-

79JON

Reaction score
Ok.. I figured this out after I bought everything and now I'm kinda stuck with the parts I have. But anyways, ive got a 71 Duster slant 6 car. I bought a 73 Duster parts car to grab all the 4.5 bolt pattern stuff and disc brake setup. Well.. the K Frame on the parts car was hacked up so it was no good. I thought the K-Frames were the same between the two and didnt think much of it. Also I have already bought slant 6 to 360 schumacher motor mounts that I cant return so Im definetly using those. Today I found out that the Sway bar goes through the K frame on the 73 and up and and on my K frame they go in front. So I was wondering if there was anyway possible that I could make the 73 sway bar work still by using the original slant 6 K Frame?? Has anyone ever had the same situation and made it work? I might just be without a Sway bar I guess.

This is a question I haven't seen before. Good one too. You probably could vent the earlier K so the sway bar would pass through it.
That's all the factory did.

If you vent the k-frame add more support around the holes.

contact fabo member Jim Lusk. i think he knows how to modify a 67-72 k frame to fit a 73-up style sway bar. its been done before i remember seeing it..

I modified a 72 318 k-frame to use the 73+ through the k-frame sway bar. It just took some cutting where the top and bottom halves are welded to get them apart and then rewelding it back together. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it might be.

If you vent the k-frame add more support around the holes.

a hemi k member is no different than a slant k... just the mounts are different...

meaning they are so strong cutting a little out wont hurt anything...

I made some templates for somebody (but, I can't remember who). Cutting the holes for the bar is no big deal and won't weaken it significantly.

Wow.. thanks for all the replies. Looks Like Ill be cutting into the K-Frame for sure. If anyone has any pictures of theirs I would love to see them. Im just glad I can still make it work and not feel like I totally wasted some money on sway bar bushings haha

Thanks for the offer but sorry, Since ive already got the motor mounts for a slant 6 K frame ive got to use that. I still want to keep the Sway bar and do like what everyone is talking about, and cutting it out to make it work.

Hope these help. I can get more as I have a couple of k-members sitting out in the shop.

Attachments

• P1010809.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 138
  • P1010810.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010811.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 133
  • P1010812.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 140
Thanks so much for the pictures! That really helps alot and doesnt seem to hard to do actually. I have one question though, where do you mount the C shape Sway bar bushings?

See the holes circled in this pic. There is a bar that runs across this area that the bushing loop bolts to. I don't think I have any of those bars here anymore as all of our cars run early bars.

Attachments

• P1010811.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 115
Ahh ok.. I remember seeing it on the parts car but left them on there. Good thing I still have the parts car :happy7: Thanks for your help man. I really appreciate it.

-
Back