Swaybar to K interference

-

rapom65

Reaction score
My swaybar contacts the K frame in two places, don't know if this is designed in or it needs to be spaced away to stop the contact. My set up: '74 Duster and K frame, factory disk brake / sway bar car. I have replaced the stock 318 sway bar with a Helwig 1.125" hollow swaybar with the provided poly mounts and endlinks. Using the stock swaybar bracket/bars to mount the poly mounts to the K.
There are two areas inside the K that hit the bar at the same location on both sides. They feel like they could have been stamped into the upper half of the K when the metal was formed and therefore are a designed support, or, the larger diameter of the bar just exceeded the designed in clearances and now it's hitting.
I can see reasons for both to be true. Don't remember any mention to check this in the instruction sheet. Any ideas?

What are we working on? Is the 74 Duster a donor car or the car you are having issues with?

Pictures of what you see and of the area in general would help us help you.

All '74 Duster. K is not damaged. The top of the sway bar contacts the top inside of the K on both sides. There are three holes in the K member under where the front of the oil pan would sit. The sway bar is up against the K just on the outboard side of the outer holes. I don't think it should contact the K member at all and am planning to space it down .25" unless someone can convince me otherwise. I will try to post pics tomorrow when I get off shift.

Did it not come with its own k frame mounts?

Is it, perhaps, upside down?
I have their bar for the earlier model As. It didnt fit my 1970 K all that well either. I believe I had to space mine down also. Make sure when you are done that the sway bar runs free during the entire suspension travel, up and down. If it rubs, sooner or later theres gonna be trouble.

I've got the same bar in my '74. Pretty sure it's just upside down. ;)

I did the same thing with mine the first time. Made more sense right up until it didn't fit. #-o I'll take a picture of mine tomorrow, the description in the instructions was a little vague.

My swaybar contacts the K frame in two places, don't know if this is designed in or it needs to be spaced away to stop the contact. My set up: '74 Duster and K frame, factory disk brake / sway bar car. I have replaced the stock 318 sway bar with a Helwig 1.125" hollow swaybar with the provided poly mounts and endlinks. Using the stock swaybar bracket/bars to mount the poly mounts to the K.
There are two areas inside the K that hit the bar at the same location on both sides. They feel like they could have been stamped into the upper half of the K when the metal was formed and therefore are a designed support, or, the larger diameter of the bar just exceeded the designed in clearances and now it's hitting.
I can see reasons for both to be true. Don't remember any mention to check this in the instruction sheet. Any ideas?

Is it hitting with the car on the ground at ride height?

If the car is on jackstands, the swaybar will rotate up and come in contact. When put on the ground the swaybar should rotate away from the k-member.

Pics will really help.

You could shim/space the sway bar mount down a little.

I agree that it is likely upsidedown or the mount brackets are installed incorrectly.

Here you go! It looks tight from some angles, but there's plenty of room.

IMG_2064_zps6bjnjd4g.jpg

IMG_2062_zpsudixkurv.jpg

IMG_2065_zpshxcyvtks.jpg

IMG_2066_zpsvfjqvffu.jpg

-
Back