Swedge wheel stud removal from hub no drum

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a front hub that has a couple of bad studs. Note: It does not have a drum on it.

The drum was bad and was cut off the hub. Are the studs swedged below the surface of the hub or only to the drum?

I'm trying to avoid drilling and wondering if I can cut them flush with the hub and knock them out. Front to rear.

The swedge should have only been to the drum. The studs should knock out once you cut the studs or grind the swedge....

There is a special tool or you can drill them from the inside and drive them to the outside. That way the swedge never gets into the knurls

RustyRatRod had a pretty slick tool for cutting the swedges. I'll see if I can find the post or maybe he'll chime in.

Its like a prefect fit hole saw. Grind the heads off and punch out the back through the front. No damage

yes you can cut them flush & knock them out, Lawrence

Hi,

With the drum already off, you don't need to worry about the swedging. No need to cut them either, just put one of the lug nuts on flush with the top of the stud and wack it down and out of the hub. Back the hub up on a big bench vise or something so that hub flange is supported and the back of the stud is free to move downward.

To grab a 1965 hub for my C-body in the junkyard, and not pay for the drum, I just beat the studs out with a hammer. Passing thru the drum seemed to shear the swedges off (recall it was swedged), so the hub holes weren't buggered. It is kind of hard to find a car with factory drums still on today. I doubt any brake shop would have swedged a new drum on the studs, since un-needed and was just to speed factory assembly. Usually you can just throw the drum down in a parking lot several times and the the hub falls out.

A 5/8" metal cutting hole saw works good. You must cut the swedges off or it will ruin the hub when you drive the studs out.

-
Back