Swinger rarity...

-
My #s matching 340 swinger. I drive it every where even in snow that we haven't had here in 20 or so years! Jeff
DSCN0515.JPG

The only thing old that we see more and more of these days is people.
Cars? Consider how many VW Beetles were sold. You wont see one of those often either, but the odds are better.

Snow is very rare here, no salting the roads. This happened this year and lasted for three days.

Jeff

Swingers were all 2 door hardtop. A 4 door was just a dart. I think the custom was a trim level option. Someone correct me if im wrong on that.
I think the customs had the woodgrain "deluxe" dash bezels. If my memory serves me right(rarely), around 72+ they all got the woodgrain.

A bodys handle fairly decent in snow. Only issue I have had is when I nailed the gas on my 340 duster and the backend slid around and smacked a tree. Not the cars fault, I was on a patch of ice.

Omg how is it in snow?

I like driving mine in the snow because it's just so much dog gone fun, but the other drivers freak me out a bit, because every year they act like it's never snowed before and do stupid **** like not leaving enough room to stop or to fast on corners and shoot right off into someone's yard.

Last year one guy told me he had a record 12 cars end up stuck in his front yard.
He is on the outside of a fairly busy corner.

I like driving mine in the snow because it's just so much dog gone fun, but the other drivers freak me out a bit, because every year they act like it's never snowed before and do stupid **** like not leaving enough room to stop or to fast on corners and shoot right off into someone's yard.

Last year one guy told me he had a record 12 cars end up stuck in his front yard.
He is on the outside of a fairly busy corner.
I learned instantly my rx8 and snow didnt mix well.

Im probably too chicken to ever take my dart out on it.

I learned instantly my rx8 and snow didnt mix well.

Im probably too chicken to ever take my dart out on it.

My Wife won't drive hers in the snow either.
72 Dart Swinger 318/904
The trans was rebuilt right before we bought it off Craigslist 2 blocks from our house, and it had a wiped cam on what looked like a fresh .030 over rebuild.
I put a 68 340 grind cam in it with all new MP lifters, new oil pump and all new bearings and it runs great.
Completely stock except for the gauge cluster and new Pioneer blue tooth stereo I got her for her birthday. (dash was already cut for a modern stereo)

Man, I gotta get that tire swapped to the inside.LOL

SANY0006.JPG

Its a blast driving in the snow, took me back to when I was sixteen going to work when I lived in Wisconsin!

There's a 67 four door /6 Dart that I see fairly routinely here in Rio Rancho. We spoke for a bit one day at a light. Nice guy. I'll drive mine around soon, I hope!

I do not think it is a matter of Swingers being rare. I think it is more about the Dart Sport being more desirable..

I don't know why you think a Dart Sport is "more desirable." Only think I like about the sports over the "regular bodies" (Dart/Swinger/Scamp) is the larger rear tire openings.

I don't know why you think a Dart Sport is "more desirable." Only think I like about the sports over the "regular bodies" (Dart/Swinger/Scamp) is the larger rear tire openings.
I think its more of a what would you have kept. The sport had what a 360? Swinger a /6 or 318?

I bet more swingers were sold like the one my grandma bought but more sports were kept and saved and resold.

I could be wrong about all of that though!

Back in the mid-late '80s i daily drove a Gold '72 Swinger 318 auto. That 318 had plenty of GO power, remember having it over 100mph!!!
Today i have the remains of a rotted out #'s matching '69 340, 4spd Swinger. It was black, saddle interior with a white butt stripe!! What a sweet color combo!!

I think its more of a what would you have kept. The sport had what a 360? Swinger a /6 or 318?

I bet more swingers were sold like the one my grandma bought but more sports were kept and saved and resold.

I could be wrong about all of that though!

Dart Sports came with the slant 6, 318 the 340 and 360.

I've owned two '69 Swingers, the first one I bought new in Sept. '69. I really wanted a Charger, but too much money for an 18 year old, so I got the Dart instead. As old man mopar said, they were strippo cars, but the one I got had an odd mix of features. 318, auto on column, deluxe interior, full wheel covers on 7:00-13 white walls.

Went to J.C. Whitney and got 2 14x6 and 2 14x7 chrome slotted wheels, went to Penney's and got imitation M/T tires, G70s for the front and J70s for the rear, lookin' good now. But, still a 318 with a 2:76 rear. Eventually it got an LD4B and a dual exhaust kit. It also got an 8/34 with 3:55s after blowing out the 7/25 axle twice. Typical dumbass teenager stuff.

That car got rear ended and totaled in '73. Right about the time that happened I heard about another '69 Swinger that had minor front end damage. It was a 340 4sp. car. So I bought the rear ended car back from the ins. company and used parts off it to fix the 340 car. The 340 car was a strippo car, base interior, plain wheels with hub caps. It didn't have a tail stripe because of being repainted previously because of minor crash damage. So after getting the flat hood from the 318 car it was really plain looking, which proved to be a lot of fun, nobody suspected it of being anything hot.

Unfortunately that car got rear ended and totaled too, by a drunk on Christmas eve of '75. Sure wish I still had it.

I've owned two '69 Swingers, the first one I bought new in Sept. '69. I really wanted a Charger, but too much money for an 18 year old, so I got the Dart instead. As old man mopar said, they were strippo cars, but the one I got had an odd mix of features. 318, auto on column, deluxe interior, full wheel covers on 7:00-13 white walls.

Went to J.C. Whitney and got 2 14x6 and 2 14x7 chrome slotted wheels, went to Penney's and got imitation M/T tires, G70s for the front and J70s for the rear, lookin' good now. But, still a 318 with a 2:76 rear. Eventually it got an LD4B and a dual exhaust kit. It also got an 8/34 with 3:55s after blowing out the 7/25 axle twice. Typical dumbass teenager stuff.

That car got rear ended and totaled in '73. Right about the time that happened I heard about another '69 Swinger that had minor front end damage. It was a 340 4sp. car. So I bought the rear ended car back from the ins. company and used parts off it to fix the 340 car. The 340 car was a strippo car, base interior, plain wheels with hub caps. It didn't have a tail stripe because of being repainted previously because of minor crash damage. So after getting the flat hood from the 318 car it was really plain looking, which proved to be a lot of fun, nobody suspected it of being anything hot.

Unfortunately that car got rear ended and totaled too, by a drunk on Christmas eve of '75. Sure wish I still had it.
Ugg what sad kuck!

-
Back