'Swiss Made' Dodge Demon 340 Survivor

-

- Marvin -

Reaction score
These days I bought quite a rare A-Body, a 1972 Dodge Demon 340 'Made in Switzerland' (exactly in Schinznach...)

There are some remarkable differences in trim and interior to the 'common US- american breed' of Demons and this swiss Demons are quite rare, because of stopping the car production in this European factory right in 1972.

In the last year of production were only 96 Demons built with slant sixes, 318 and 340. No numbers, how many got the 340.

'My Demon' is a matching numbers survivor with original paint in outstanding good condition with less than 70.000 mls (in reality doicumented 106.000 kilometers, because he has - of course - an kph-speedo).

This Demon was in 1972 delivered with Recaro-bucket seats, 3-point safety belts, York-AC, 8 - track radio with electrical antenna,fog lamps, special bumper rubber guards, Dunlop radials...

The hood pins and the air-ducts are not stock but aftermarket; they will have to go...

The picture out of the swiss sales brochure shows how the Demon might have looked like in 1972 and to achieve this again is my goal for the next season.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• DSC09270.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 940
  • DSC09296.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 857
  • DSC09303.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 861
  • P1210388.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,020
  • DSC09264.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 838
  • P1210412.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 856
  • DSC09273.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 862
  • DSC09290.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 842
  • P1210083.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 856
that's a cool demon!and it don't look like swiss cheeze.

Man, that's a nice find. I didn't even know they made Mopars over there! Thanks for sharing

I'm highly skeptical of factory Recaro seating, but that is a clean Demon and I wish we had bumper guards like those!

I'd keep it exactly the same... Love it! Don't change a thing! Kinda a Day 2 theme.
Just preserve it please!

Nice. I'm another who did not know about this foreign source of Chrysler production. I'm going to guess it has a "240" speedometer in it. I really want one of those. Cool car, enjoy!

I see your Demon has the rear turn signals - Amber of course and I believe mandatory in Europe mounted in the bumper. I guess there was no other place to install them.

I see your Demon has the rear turn signals - Amber of course and I believe mandatory in Europe mounted in the bumper. I guess there was no other place to install them.

could that be a "rear fog light" ?

it looks like there is only one (unless its a nascar version, they only need the left hand turn signal)

your supposed to run it in dense fog so that the car coming up behind you can tell your there, and roughly where you are located on the road

(they brightness would be the equivalent of a brake light rather than a tail light)

could that be a "rear fog light" ?

it looks like there is only one (unless its a nascar version, they only need the left hand turn signal)

looks to me like there's one on the right side too...

cool car anyways- I also never knew about Swiss made mopars.

ahh yes I see it now, looks smaller then I thought it would

disregard my last post then :)

Didn't know they made them in Europe, I know they exported cars there but to actually assemble them seems strange

Cool find and thanks for sharing with us.

Seen a 69 Dart swinger in Mexico in the 90's with Km speedo, rally dash, hood inserts had 270 HP instead of 340 4 barrel.

I'm highly skeptical of factory Recaro seating, but that is a clean Demon and I wish we had bumper guards like those!

They had really RECARO - Seats installed by factory; it is mentioned - in french - beside the picture out of the brochure - to small to read on my foto, but I willl post a complete article about the Swiss Mopar factory in the next days. The interior of this car is completely stock and untouched.

Nice. I'm another who did not know about this foreign source of Chrysler production. I'm going to guess it has a "240" speedometer in it. I really want one of those. Cool car, enjoy!

Yes it has a 240 kph speedo, my Duster, assembled in Hamtramck for export (to Austria) has also a 240 kph speedo.

Does either car (or both) have an 8 digit dash VIN?

That's cool same color as mine.You couldn't show pic of deck lid emblem Mine is missing and I don't know what it looks like but that could be different also.

No, these are only factory installed reflectors, the turn signals are integrated in the rear lights instead of the back-up lights (not mandatory in Europe in the 70s)

As You can see here:

Attachments

• DSC_1305_1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 619
Some pics of the interior:

DSC09285.jpg

DSC09279.jpg

It's a really cool car, and looks completely different to the duster. The Duster is more like pure power and ruthless aggression, while this Demon is more likely a luxury sport-car. Interior is, as you can see, in very good shape.

DSC09299.jpg

The first ride...

A-Bodys rule!:D

Does either car (or both) have an 8 digit dash VIN?

The Duster has a 'standard' dash VIN like all American Dusters, it was produced in the US for Export with kph - speedo and stiffer shocks (all in the buildsheet).
In Austria H4 headlights (by CIBIE) and turn signals were dealer-installed, because sealed beams were not allowed in Europe.

The Demon has a special, shorter dash VIN, the first 5 digits are the same as on an American Demon, but the sequential number is shorter.
Swiss made cars have no buildsheet and no tag, only the so-called 'Schinznach-Plakette' you can see above.

On this picture You can see the different head-liner (its not fabrics but pressed material); the 3-point safety-belts are not mounted in the roof, but behind the seats:

Attachments

• DSC09287.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 541
-
Back