Switch to methanol

-

gumper

Reaction score
Think I've posted about this before, but posting again.
I'm sick of the inconsistency I experience with pump gas in my bracket car, so I want to dive into the world of methanol. I've asked lots of questions of the local guys who run it, and get a wide variety of answers. I feel like I can swap on an alcohol carb and compatible regular then go racing. Correct me after viewing my setup:
~11.25:1 408 with ported Eddys, MP .557 cam (until next year with rebuild), -08 feed line to the carb from a Holley black with -06 return, Mancini 1/2" stainless pickup in the tank, runs 7.60s and 12.0 at a mile high altitude @ ~3400 lbs on 91 out of the pump.
A couple guys tell me I NEED -10 line and a bigger pump. Another guy says it'll work fine how it is with a new carb. I realize bigger line would be nice, but is it really needed for a 500-550 horse (sea level) car?

I think you would be OK on the pump,if it's alcohol compatible. Be sure to vent both valve covers or you will be replacing main seals. DAMHIK

I have four breathers, two in each valve cover. Was going to do an evac system into the exhaust, but I'm afraid the mufflers would make it useless. Think that's enough?

Holley has the 140 gph black pump listed as compatible with alcohol fuels. The regulator however is not.

Just remember this, with methanol you are going to use twice as much as pump gas even though it is half the price. Another factor to keep in mind is methanol is hydroscopic (absorbs moisture). Never let the car sit for long periods of time because the moisture will play havoc on the entire fuel system.

550HP needs;at a 1/2 pound of fuel per hp/ per hour at stp, is 275pounds of gasoline. And at about 6 pounds per gallon, this is 46gph, which is 172 liters per hour.
Figure on nearly doubling that for on alcohol.

I think the blacks are 110gpg, so you are only at 84% capacity.

Last edited:
holley black pumps are 140 gph...

we use e85...with -8 line from tank to regulator the -6 line into carb...950 Quick Fuel Tech....not really 950s..830s more like it..

140 Gph @ 14 PSI Universal Electric Fuel Pump

started racing car in 2006...using one of these...switch to e85 about 4 or 5 years ago...and finally changed out pump to another last year...put the old pump in box for spare as it was still working....

but everyone will tell ya need a 400 dollar pump...lol
the Dart at sea level will run 10.30 with stock stroke 360...and the 2 other cars use the same fuel set up

and yeah...they are made in china...just like the holley pumps..

Last edited:
That going to be enough compression?
Yeah it'll be fine. I'd see more of a benefit with higher compression, but it'll work with what I have. The guy who didn't suggest redoing the entire fuel system ran it with compression in the mid 11s. So long as it's more consistent than gas, so I can win more money, I'm content.

Forget alcohol, you're going from baby steps to Flying. E85 is the ticket for your Car. It will pick up nicely and be Super Consistent. You can send your Carb off to Quick Fuel and they will adapt it for E85 use.
Find your local Racers who are using it and glean info off them. Or ask FABO Racers...a couple have Track Championships off E85.
Most Race Trac Gas Stations now carry E85, so it is much easier to obtain.
You will be one Happy Camper with E85 vs Alcohol.

one car has 11.2 compression the other two are 10.4 to 1 compression....yes you can run more compression...but it will still work

Forget alcohol, you're going from baby steps to Flying. E85 is the ticket for your Car. It will pick up nicely and be Super Consistent. You can send your Carb off to Quick Fuel and they will adapt it for E85 use.
Find your local Racers who are using it and glean info off them. Or ask FABO Racers...a couple have Track Championships off E85.
Most Race Trac Gas Stations now carry E85, so it is much easier to obtain.
You will be one Happy Camper with E85 vs Alcohol.
Yeah e85 was exactly what I was going to do. I was ready to order the carb, and then my fuel supplier fell through. The closest place to get e85 is a 10 hour drive, whereas methanol comes right to me every two weeks indefinitely. I called every fuel supplier in the state and no luck on ethanol. Methanol is my only alternative to gas at least for now.

You're no dummy...but you can still order E85 in bulk.
The nightmares of maintaining an Alcohol car vs the availability of E85...I'll still take the E85.
You just need to work harder to find a supplier. Talk to the Guys at the Race Track. They're running it, why can't you?

Well they're not actually. No one in Montana or Eastern Idaho uses it due to no availability. I looked at getting it shipped, but it works out to $9/gallon which is far beyond what I am willing to pay. The closest distributor is in Washington which is 5 hours one way on top of only being open on weekdays. Taking the mileage driven and needing to use a work vacation day isn't feasible. Trust me, I spent a few months this year trying to make it work. At first a friend of mine who lives in WA was going to bring back a few barrels for me when he came to visit family. He then quit his job and fell off the face of the planet, so my plans fell in the crapper. These are reasons for going with methanol instead of my much preferred alternative of E85. If you can find me a reasonable way to get ethanol to my tank then by all means let me know.
Idaho Falls has an E85 pump, $6/gallon. Not reasonable.

Why isnt 6 a gallon reasonable? Race Gas is 9+ a gallon.
Whoa, wait a minuto...the internet sez the average price of E85 in Idaho is $3.17.
You gotta understand, Detroit has been manufacturing E85 vehicles and they need to fill up. The stuff is out there cheaper, you're just not looking hard enough.
Check out this map link, we're gettin CLOSER. I think this is gonna be your EUREKA moment.

E85 prices » Idaho

I called the Conrad and Bischoff place in Idaho Falls and they told me it was $6 gal. It's for the Idaho Nuclear Labs vehicles, so the public price is higher. Also, is it really 85%? I have doubts. I can attempt it again next week, but I'm not confident. Pump gas is still under $3/gal, so jumping above that is unattractive.

-
Back