Switch?

-

4 Barrel

Reaction score
I have just removed and cleaned all the contacts/pins on the the back of my ralley dash on my 70 340 Swinger ( original California car ). I had to replace the gas gauge, using an NOS piece that I have had for a number of years ). I also gave the contacts a little shot of electrical contact spray. Installed new 194 dash bulbs. Reinstalled very slowly and carefully. Everything works, including the lights and all the gauges. And then all stopped working as I was driving home at night. That is, until all the dash lights went out. The gauges still work fine. Then just as I was near home I hit a small bump and dash lights came back on and stayed on. But something is screwy. I'm wondering if the problem could be a faulty headlight switch. It looks to be original. Thanks...

When it acts up, rotate the dimmer control back and forth and see it the dash lights come back on.

Ok. Thank you both. Will see what happens. At the moment there are some huge black storm clouds gathering. We are due for a major T storm with possible hail, so gonna stay put tonight:cheers:

Depends on how old it is,the headlight switch on my Duster is old and sometimes I have to turn the dimmer and wiggle it for the dash lights to come on.

Check the headlight dimmer switch on the floor too. If it goes bad or the connection is loose the dash lights & headlights go out.

It turns out that the problem was a poor connection at the fuse box. Looks like a fuse had overheated and melted a small area of the plug-in of the main harness where it plugs into the headlight switch. So I replaced the melted connector with one from a parts car, and as an added precaution, replaced the headlight and dimmer switches, as well as replacing all the fuses with new 20s. All seems to be good now. Thank you to all that helped me out on this one. It was puzzler for me.

-
Back