T Bar Installation Questions

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
I can't find the post but a member posted a good description to install T Bars. In other words, numbers to the rear or front? Front Rear orientation, the line up and down or side to side, etc. I know it sounds kinda simple but I thought it was good information and now I can't find it. Any help? Thanks in advance!

Condran's book says numbers in front or rear doesn't matter - that part is simply a matter of convenience. What's crucial is Left or Right, which is stamped "L" and "R" on the side with the numbers.

The factory installed the bars with the numbers towards the rear but as long as you install them on the correct side, it doesn't really matter about the rest.

The bars with built-in offset would be critical to get correct from side to side. L on left and R on right with numbers in the rear.

Are we talking new bars, or reinstalling old bars. If reinstalling old bars is the position of the line really as critical as some have said here? I pulled my bars before I noted the direction of the lines, I did mark the last one but failed to mark the first one.

If it doesn't have numbers or you want to be "Double" sure

odd number- left side (V-8, HD/"340" bar, 893 will be on the one end)
even number-right side (V-8, HD/"340" bar, 892 will be on one end)

Chrysler designated between side-specific parts odd on left, even on right. The numbers on the opposite end of the T-bar meant nothing more than a batch/plant number

line goes up and down in the rear, more for a reference than anything as the clocking cant change down the bar. Later big MP T-bars dont have 2 part numbers...do they have letters or sides or even offsets?

If I recall correctly, the bars for lighter engines, maybe sixes and/or small 8s, were forged with a slight offset between the rear and front hexes, essentially giving a pre-load to the LCAs. My guess is that, from an engineering standpoint, because the lighter bars had a light spring rate, they used the offset to "push" the LCAs downward in neutral stance under normal weight of the car. This would be of much less concern when using stiffer bars because they would not be "twisted" by the normal weight of the car in neutral stance.

Does this sound correct? I pulled my original bars from my '68 'Cuda 318; I'll take a look this afternoon to see if those bars have an offset.

I installed end for end wrong, isn't that same as swapping sides? Twisting opposite?
No, the twist is the same regardless of which end is forward. It's just nice to be able to read the number on the end of the bar without having to take it out.

Well, it is. Draw a curved arrow on both ends of the bar indicating the direction in which the bar twists to add load. If you spin it around end to end, you'll find that if you load the bar in the same way, the bar is twisted in the same direction.

Good info guys. Shame on me......I didn't realize there were R & L's or proper front to rear. I wonder if mine are correct. tmm

Thanks for all the inputs. Never did find the description I was looking for but there is good information here. I took the these pictures of the 62 Lancer parts car I have in the driveway right now. This is a mid model year car from St Louis. Drivers side bar first and pass second. Notice there are numbers on both bars and both lines are turned on an angle. Since I have the photos I am going to put mine back like these although I don't think it matters. Are these T Bar numbers or date codes?

Attachments

• IMG_5589_30.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_5594_30.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 144
They're the last 3 digits of the part number for each bar. They indicate that your bars are just the standard duty ones.

They're the last 3 digits of the part number for each bar. They indicate that your bars are just the standard duty ones.

That makes sense. A 170 series Lancer with a 170 engine, not exactly a road race car.

-
Back