tach mounting

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
i picked up a 5" autometer tach today and was wondering how others have their tachs mounted.

I got an Auto Meter Sport Comp tach with a shift light, I'm thinking about mounting the tach under the dash over the floor hump angled towards the driver, and get an extension cable for the shift light and mount it on the steering column where a Sun Super Tach II currently resides.

I got an Auto Meter Sport Comp tach with a shift light, I'm thinking about mounting the tach under the dash over the floor hump angled towards the driver, and get an extension cable for the shift light and mount it on the steering column where a Sun Super Tach II currently resides.

thats along the lines of what i was thinking, since i cant mount it to the dash unless i made a bracket to extend it outwards some... the downside is having to look down to see your rpm

I made an aluminum strap bracket that hooks under the back of the dashpad, and then slides down the front of the pad, where I folded it back towards the gauges with my thumbs. It mimics the shape of the pad. Of course I drilled and tapped two mounting holes prior.
And I bought a 4"/8g/270Plus* tach, cuz it had great resolution,at that distance from my eyeballs. The 1.8 or so,flat strap,is loose enough that I can slide it out of the way, for daily driving, and then slide it back into my line-of-sight when it's go-time.And of course I rotated it to put my shift rpm at the top.
For me I can't see the sense of a low-mounted tach. My shift rpm occurs at Mphs of; 51,65,82,& 105. I got no time to be trying to find the tach, and IMHO it's just too dangerous, to look away.At 82 mph I am travelling at 120feet per second.
At 51 I am already at 75 fps. Even if I could find it, focus on it,read it, return to topside and refocus,( never mind WATCH the needle), in a total of .2 second, I have already traveled 15 ft. And I never would see an inch of the track! At 51Mph.
So for me it's topside, or leave it in the box.

FWIW; My SSII was incredibly slow compared to what I now have, which IIRC is an Autoguage.

X2!

I liked having the tach down low but during the run I never glanced at it. I got a smaller tach and mounted it to the steering column. I'm not a fan of seeing a big tach on the dash so my set up is nice and since it's right next to the speedometer I have no problem looking at it.

If you are on the street pulling a few RPM's you most likely won't spend a lot of time looking at a tach, so really its just another reference point, instrument, to look at. When I'm the street I go by the seat of my pants. A street tach is not really relevant to me, because if I'm banging off a shift, I'm banging off a shift, and the RPM is what it is. I can't be bothered to even do that any more as I believe that is what the track is for. There are too many other street problems that can pop up if you don't pay attention to your driving.
If I'm racing, the tach is important for a number of reasons. My top two, are to set (and remind me of) my shift points with the shift light, and to see what I went through the traps at. Its pretty useful in the water box too. Everybody has their own style. I like what A/J said about centering the tach to your shift point.

I made a bracket and hung it from the rear view mirror mount.

If you are on the street pulling a few RPM's you most likely won't spend a lot of time looking at a tach, so really its just another reference point, instrument, to look at. When I'm the street I go by the seat of my pants. A street tach is not really relevant to me, because if I'm banging off a shift, I'm banging off a shift, and the RPM is what it is. I can't be bothered to even do that any more as I believe that is what the track is for. There are too many other street problems that can pop up if you don't pay attention to your driving.

Thasroit, cuz,you know, top of first gear is close to, or over, the speed limit, in most instances. I didn't bother with a tach until I had the silly idea of getting an ET slip. I just did the math and converted my shift rpm to my mphs, and used the speedO: 51,65,82,105.

I also made a simple metal bracket that slides under the dash pad. I use to have it mounted on my console and I told myself I would just wait for the light to shift. I found myself constantly looking down at the tach though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 510
I also made a simple metal bracket that slides under the dash pad. I use to have it mounted on my console and I told myself I would just wait for the light to shift. I found myself constantly looking down at the tach though.

How exactly is it attached? Is it screwed on it just resting in the concave of the dash?

I made a bracket that mounts my 5" Autometer on the steering column then I make another bracket that slips under the pad for the shift light. The shift light is right over the steering wheel so it's easily seen.

I placed mine on the DASH,strike the fear of what EVER is beside me,Street..99/100.Every one laughs at it ...

I am happy with the under dash mount I made for my 3 3/8" tach.

Attachments

• P1Va1 (1).jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 263
-
Back