Tach Placement

-

comoxian

Reaction score
So, where do you mount a tach in an Early A?

The previous owner of my car mounted a 2 1/2" tach under the dash, below the radio. It's kinda hard to see, past the steering wheel, and my hand/arm.

I don't want to mount it on top of the dash, don't want to drill holes.

Got any pics of yours?

Its easy to mount it to the column right smack dab between the guages (on a '65 Barracuda, your mileage may vary) of course they mounted the real ones on the left side of the dash, down where your knee would hit it (what were they thinking?) You could always mount it behind your real dash, where the volt,gas and temp guages are and move them somewhere lese, but the column is the easiest way. Stick with a 3.5 inch dial, the 5 will cover the entire dashboard.

Anywhere possible! lol

There isn't much room that's for sure. How about leaving the RPM gauge where it's located. Mount a small adjustable shift light on the center of the steering column right behind the steering wheel. Smaller the better because it won't block the view of the gauges, you don't have to look down, and you don't have to worry about when to shift. Sounds good to me.... LOL!

i have a the sun super tach III in mine (big one with the blue shift light, its mounted on the column on the right side. its the only spot i could find that doesn't block any of the original gages and high enough that its not a knee-knocker. have to reach around it to get to the cigarette lighter, though.
-Tim

My 66 dash is different than the 65 but I mounted mine in the center under the dash above the console. Mine has a shift light so I don't have to stare at it.
toolman

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Ya, Toolman, that's exactly where mine is now. But smaller. It's just too hard to see.

Maybe I can fabricate a bracket for the steering column. 20-odd years as a plumber/pipefitter, I'm sure that I can come up with something.

no help here...
mines mounted to the roll cage tubing by the a pillar on top of the dash..

Not an early A, but close. Mine used to be lower, but my knee would hit it. I bought an old tach still in the box with the instructions, and it came with a hose clamp. I thought that was just how people did it back then, not part of the 'mounting kit.'

DSC04171.JPG

Matthon, that's a good lookin' old Superior steering wheel ya' got there.
toolman

Mine's just to the right of the speedo.I don't pay much attention to the speedo,it's in mph,plus I have 15's instead of 14's so I really don't know how the hell fast I'm going.8)

Matthon, that's a good lookin' old Superior steering wheel ya' got there.
toolman
Thank you, I like it alot.
The chrome was cleaned with fine steel wool to get the rust off, it was covered. It now looks a little like a chrome/stainless mix.
Anyone know how to bring the chrome back?

No pic but my autometer monster tach is mounted to the trans tunnel just a little back from the firewall.

How about the hood, the pillar, the top of the cowl?
Just like the trans tunnel, these were all places the different auto makers put them.

Located my tach on the dash ,but it's a smaller one less than 3". Jayson

DSCN4386.JPG

-
Back