Tachometer hook up

-

Muad'Dib15

Reaction score
Hey, I recently bought a Sunpro 2 super tach [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sunpro-CP7906-Mini-Super-Tachometer/dp/B00029JYS8"]Amazon.com: Sunpro CP7906 Mini Super Tachometer II - Black Dial: Automotive[/ame] and am trying to figure out how to hook it up. I know how to get to the coil, but where can I hook up the power, ground and lights? I have no idea how the wiring harness in these cars works so any help would be appreciated.

what i ususally do is run the ground to the bolt on the column that grounds to the dash, then pull the fuse box down, there are male spades in there...

hook the light to the cluster fuse and the power to the radio fuse...

Cool, thanks. And I can do that for the lights with my little trio of temp gauges as well?

Cool, thanks. And I can do that for the lights with my little trio of temp gauges as well?

yep... if your tri has a volt gauge the best place to go is off the Ign side of the Voltage regulator... the blue wire...

Ah ok, but I'm not using the voltage gauge as the ammeter seems to be working just fine right now. I need the oil pressure and water temp, but like I said these are just temporary gauges until I get them fixed.

do all your other gauges work? if so i would look into swapping out the voltage limiter on the back of the dash...

Ok, I checked my fuse box. The only extra male spade connectors are for ACC, Cigar lighter, and LPS? which from my expericance are the dash lights as I had to replace that fuse once and the lights came back on. And no, the fuel gauge and water temp gauge don't work at all. The oil pressure gauge pins itself on high, and the ammeter works fine.

Easiest way to tell if it's connected through the dash lights is to use a stab light. Hook the clamp up to a good ground and touch the spade connector with The lights off, at this point there should be no light on for your stab light. Then pull the lights on, accessory will be far enough but you can go all the way if you want. If its connected through the lights it will now be on. If so hook it up there. Good luck Justin. Btw you can hook up the trio gauges lights to the same place. Also if none of the spades are part of the light system you can go to the parts store and pick up an adapter that grabs under the glass fuse when you push it up into the fuse box and they have a male spade that comes down off the fuse. If you have to go that route I recommend a female spade that is fully insulated so it can't possibly touch something and short. Again good luck. Here is a link to the adapter I am talking about I hope this works it is the first picture in the row. http://www.google.com/search?q=pict...hl=en&client=safari#biv=i|0;d|DB9fPW2yva6CPM:

something i do for short term is geta female spade connector, it slides right between the fure holder and the plastic edge... works great...

Alright then, I'll try that. I guess what I should have asked was, is it ok to hook the power up to the ACC connector? I know I can hook it up to the LPS/lights one, and hook my dual cig lighters up to the cig lighter fuse. But I don't know if the ACC only works when the key is turned backwards. My dad says it works both ways but I just want to make sure.

got everything except the light hooked up and it now works. hooray. I ended up just hooking the power wire to the ACC fuse.

It should. The guy who wrote the book it's from used the Arab nation as an inspiration for the people that lived on the desert planet Arakis.

-
Back