Tail shaft seal and yoke quetsion

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I gotta question on one of my weak points. This picture below is a tailshaft to a 727. In my hand is a seal that I think goes onn or in I should say to the tailshaft. The yoke of course slips in and is covered by the dust boot.

Notice theres something of a seal in the tailshaft allready.

Do I need to put that thing in my hand in?

Or can I run without it and be OK.

The inside diameter of the seal in the tailshaft is the same as the one in my hand. I like the dust boot cover and normaly see it this way.

Do I need to remove one for the other?

The one in there now has a lip that sits on the houseing, like it belongs there.

Attachments

• 100_1801.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_1802.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 97
  • 100_1803.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 87
I think that is the same seal just a different one. The 727 I rebuilt had that larger one originally and the rebuild kit came with the seal without the dust boot on it.

I like the dust boot style myself. I don't have a yoke on hand to fit into it to see for myself. Thanks for the quick reply. I just need to nkow for sure before I bolt this thing up for daily driver duties.

The one in you hand is for harsh conditions like snow or dirt. They tend to squeek when dry.

FYI, I did slide a yoke into mine with the smaller seal and it fits just fine.

Technically the seal without the dust boot has a dust wiper on it too. If you feel inside it there's a lip seal pointing in that controls oil leakage and a lip pointed out that keep out dust. I'm sure the extra boot couldn't hurt anything but if your not in an extreme environment you should be fine without it.

Yup. Just an aftermarket seal, made differntly than Ma did

-
Back