taking FOREVER

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
no really my car takes forever to warm up i timed it...its like 12 mins to raise from 150-160 and even longer from 160-180...i have a 180 stat...viscous fan...stock radiator...high flow water pump...and fan shroud....what gives...I wasted so much gas waiting for the car to warm up I dont understand it

Well, I was thinking the Hi flow water pump might cause some of it. It's moving the water through the engine so fast it's not allowing enough time to heat up. Therefore taking longer to warm the car. I may be totally wrong but just a thought. The thermostat being stuck open could very well be it.

well...you thing with the water pump is funny because i have heard people say other wise when My car was over heating...that it was flowing to fast not cooling...

Yea, that would do it also. Check the thermostat first. What size motor do you have?

Yes. T stat is the most likely culprit. The good ones will fail open.Motor wont over heat but takes forever to heat up.

I've been reading a little on the Hi Flo water pumps. Are you using a Hi Flow T-stat? From what I've read it is recommended that you use a HF T-stat when using a HF water pump. The pressure from the water pump could force open a standard T-stat. I don't know, just what I've read.

Maybe the engine is running so fat that it won't heat up.... Just a thought.

Guess what, it's not overheating, that's the other side and MUCH worse.

What you need to do is focus/pay attention to one issue at a time, get that solved and see if solving your first issue has a positive effect on anything else you perceive as a concern.

Want it to heat up, put a piece of cardboard over half the radiator blocking airflow. That will warm it up.

Chrysler motors are known to be cold nature engines anyways. I know that doesn't help any but even a few all out Chevy guys I hang with know that. lol

ya i put stuff in front and it warmed up thanks guys also replaced the stat

still could be off?? got one of those pinpoint infrared thermometers? i have had air pockets settle in around the t-stat causing wierd issues with the gauge....

Its autometer mechanical
You mentioned in another thread that you're impatient. SLOW DOWN,, take a breath! LOL!
I didn't ask what kind it is, I said to make sure it's accurate! If, by telling me what kind it is, you're saying that it's good because it's an Autometer mech, WRONG! Autometer gauges are right up there on my list of aftermarket stuff that doesn't work right.
Odds are though, that your stat is stuck open, as mentioned, and the coolant can't warm up.

-
Back